UKC

Trekking near to Arequipa (Peru)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 THE.WALRUS 11 Oct 2017
Can anyone recommend a good, multi-day, high-altitude trek near to Arequipa in Southern Peru?

I'm looking to pre-acclimatise ahead of climbing some of the volcanoes.

Thanks.
 Tom Briggs 11 Oct 2017
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

I've just been looking at this, as it was recommended to me. From Chivay (3650m), which is north of Arequipa, there's a 5-day trek in a westerly direction via Choco - Mina - with the high point being Cirani Pass (5075m). End point is Andagua from where you can drive back to Arequipa.
OP THE.WALRUS 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Thanks.

There see to be a few local operators offering that kind of thing.

Looks to be suitable for acclimatisation, particularly if you add-on an ascent of El Misti, rather than return directly to Arequipa....you'd be ready for the 6000ers after that.
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

I’ve done the choco/Mina trek- absolutely breathtaking (literally, paso cerani is 5000m+...), a magical experience and with much more of an insight into modern Peru than the Inca trail. Some photos in my gallery.

We organised it with Miguel Zarate, an Arequipa guide (and co-discoverer of a famous mummy- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummy_Juanita ). Our efforts were put in context when we stopped for the evening in the village after the pass and the mule driver set off home back over the pass at night, alone!
OP THE.WALRUS 11 Oct 2017
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

What time of year were you out there? Would i be right in saying that there is very little seasonal variation in the weather....and you can climb out there all year??
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

We were there in our autumn- September/October (I think- it was 12 years ago!). Weather in Arequipa region was dry, no rain at all when we were there. I think there is a wet season (well, wetter- it’s desert overall) but not sure what time of year it is.

Huayhuash are was different- rain/snow every day, always in the afternoons

What are you planning to climb?
OP THE.WALRUS 12 Oct 2017
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
Next April - slightly outside the peak weather season...but according to Jonh Biggars book, theres hardly any diffference in the weather between summer and winter (unlike most other regions in Peru).

I've had a look at Carlos Zarate's website, it seems he's a bit of a legend in those parts!
Post edited at 07:27

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...