UKC

Via Ferrata winter routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Siobhan Brown 24 Nov 2018

Hiya,

Im thinking about going for a wee holiday in February and thought I’d go do some Via Ferrata. I’ve found some smaller winter day routes (like cima capi) however I quite fancy doing a hut to hut treck like the delle bochette. Anyone done this in Winter? Or could suggest some good routes that will be doable at this time of year (I will have a plan b as it depends on the type of winter we have). Would the southern dolomites be a better bet than central? 

Cheers

beardy mike 24 Nov 2018
In reply to Siobhan Brown:

This came up not long ago. Yes you can do via ferrata in the winter but it's not the easiest, it's basically full winter mountaineering as the cables will be buried by snow most places. Huts will be shut so you would have to use winter rooms. And the southern dolomites are just as high as the northern ones so just as much snow...

OP Siobhan Brown 24 Nov 2018
In reply to beardy mike:

Thanks mike. I couldn’t seem to find any relevant topics when searching the forum but will have another look. Good point regarding huts. Possibly my first option of day trips is best. Cheers

beardy mike 24 Nov 2018
In reply to Siobhan Brown:

Well I think to be honest you need to be thinking about a completely different region. This year has started off snowy - big storms and my neighbour there has been skitouring already. Anything above 1500 will be completely covered in snow by February, probably lower than that too - in the Dolomites that's the valley floor. I am normally fairly optimistic about peoples suggestions but even day routes will be completely epic on Via Ferrata unless you are really au fait with winter climbing, ice axes, crampons, snow shoes, the lot. A better idea if you still want to go is to go snow shoeing or skiing (if you can't ski that's not the right option of course!) For Via Ferrata I would say that you want to be looking at April at the very earliest unless you are looking at the foothills down by Lake Garda and even then you will find snow at the tops.

Post edited at 13:38

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...