UKC

Where to get info about Peaks in Pakistan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 asdf123 02 Jan 2021

Hi everyone

As far as I know there are quite a lot of off-the-beaten-track peaks in the Karakoram that haven't seen a FA yet (not necessarily because they are hard, but mainly because there simply are a lot of peaks in Pakistan and most of them aren't very well known). I have been traveling quite a bit in Pakistan and have been thinking it would be rather cool to climb one of these one day (in a couple of years or so). Obviously there would be a lot of organisation involved and you would probably have to organize porters and permits etc. But what I mainly wonder is where you can find information about peaks (and which ones are yet unclimbed), maps and other resources like that. 

Does anyone know where one could find information like that?

Thanks

alexm198 02 Jan 2021
In reply to asdf123:

See this thread and replies therein: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/expedition+alpine/researching_unclimbed_p...

The reason many of these things are unclimbed is because it takes a fair amount of research to find and plan how to climb them. 

Removed User 03 Jan 2021
In reply to asdf123:

It's very doable. Once you know where you want to go local providers can arrange the logistics like permits and access. Different areas do things differently.

Finding new stuff often starts with trawling reports in AAJ and searching in languages like Polish and Japanese goes a long way too. Then seeing what else is in the images and cross referencing with satellite images for access and potential lines. In the end you need to thrown down and go there of course, but these days a lot can done from your living room.

The last several years Pakistan has dropped (often dramatically) fees for peaks below 6500m in some areas. 

mike123 03 Jan 2021
In reply to asdf123: I'd try to get some  recommendations for reliable  local operators and communicate  with them directly. They will likely have a  list ( possibly in their heads ) of various peaks in their area  that look doable and how easy or hard they Are to get to and hence how many days and  how much it will cost you . Most will also do various levels of service from very basic to very very not basic . Another thing they can do for you is switch venue if plan A becomes impossible due to the shifting   sands of politics / safety . Several years ago We did a few trips to India with various levels of help , by the far the best were those organised for us by Rimo ( often recommended on here for India  ) One trip had to be completely replanned at a moments notice because the army shut the valley over night . I can't recommend a similar outfit for Pakistan but I bet somebody else on here can .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...