UKC

Wild Camping - Ladybower Resevoir

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alexedmonds1 14 Jul 2020

Looking to wild camp this weekend near ladybower resevoir , any decent locations or spots to stay?

spenser 14 Jul 2020
In reply to Alexedmonds1:

It depends on what you are wanting to wild camp for. If it's a bit of a party and a load of booze with some mates there's nowhere which would be good for this.

If you want to wild camp for the sake of wild camping you will find a decent flat section of ground at an area marked as "Slippery Stones" immediately to the North of the reservoir, as long as you arrive late and leave early and carry out/ properly bury your shit I don't think you will get any grief up there. You may be able to sleep a bit closer to civilisation if you were happy to just roll out a bivvi bag rather than taking a tent.

If you want to wild camp for access to a specific objective you'll need to pick a site yourself.

ebdon 14 Jul 2020
In reply to spenser:

Sliperystones is a very popular site, I'd consider packing your crap out from here unless your a poo disposal expert. 

I would also note that anywhere near the reservoir is about 2mins from a road, or very busy track, so not really to be encouraged.

spenser 14 Jul 2020
In reply to ebdon:

Fair enough, I've only ever been up on a weekend evening while camping was still banned so didn't see any sign of anyone camping (I was on my bike so didn't need to camp myself).

I've definitely wild camped in less remote places, however it's typically not the most fun and I have always got my sleeping arrangement packed up with a certain degree of urgency once I've woken up doing that kind of thing.

ebdon 14 Jul 2020
In reply to spenser:

Sorry, I didn't mean to direct that at you or you're helpful response, more the thread in general. I guess my point was theres a lot of people 'wild' camping (i hate that term) right now due to lack of other options (including me!) And as a result stress on honypot sites. So everyone needs to tread extra carefully, if you cant do it without being noticed or without leaving a trace then think twice!

TobyA 14 Jul 2020
In reply to spenser:

I was talking with a mate yesterday about Slippery Stones - I've bivvied there a few times now while bikepacking, but Joe said he had been past recently and there lots of fire pits and rubbish there too.

Alex - there are lots of stories of wild campers getting moved on by rangers currently, including people walking the Pennine Way which is a pretty unobjectionable thing to be doing! Normally rangers for NT and East Moors Partnership and so on who I've spoken to have been very understanding about people wild camping well away from roads but there have been so many problems this summer post the lockdown it sounds like people who wouldn't normally get into any trouble are getting moved on.

I would say get a map and find somewhere that looks possible but remote on that, then go and have a look. What's the worst that can happen? (Answer: you end up trying to sleep on slope just a bit too steep for the minimal frictional coefficient between your mat and sleeping bag meaning you end up sliding down to the bottom of your tent again and again, as I did last Thursday/Friday! )

TobyA 14 Jul 2020
In reply to ebdon:

I would say even more than normal, pitch late as well. I didn't leave home until nearly 10 pm last week when I went out. Walked in for about an hour (lots of bats then two badgers on the path ahead of me was cool!) up toward the Kinder plateau, but not all the way. I had my wee tent up and was in bed around midnight, breakfast and packed up just before 7 am. Had scrambled up Crowden Clough and done a little loop around the plateau for a bit, then back down to the car at Barber Booth - home to take over childcare at about 0930. Very much a "microadventure"!

spenser 14 Jul 2020
In reply to TobyA:

I feel pretty lucky not getting moved on from the roadside quarry near Swineshaw reservoir last Saturday morning in that case! I did see/ chat to a couple of people while packing up but that was mostly because I had decided to wait out the rain inside the tent rather than just getting on the bike!

GrahamD 14 Jul 2020

> Looking to wild camp this weekend near ladybower resevoir , any decent locations or spots to stay?

How "near" is "near" ?

DrJP 03 Aug 2020

I bivvy up at bamford edge under some overhangs. I don't get set up until 10:30/11pm and out by 7am. Nice view of the reservoirs, win hill and the hope valley. 

tehmarks 03 Aug 2020
In reply to DrJP:

You're not alone in that - I saw a couple up there from the other side of the valley Thursday night as I ran back to the Derwent boulders to retrieve my sunglasses. Unfortunately they'd gone as far as lighting a campfire to make themselves snug and comfortable...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...