UKC

World cup viewing from a mountain hut

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gallonj 10 Jul 2018

I am in Chamonix mountaineering over next weekend.  Should England get through to the World Cup final, I was wondering if any of the mountain huts (Cosmiques, Gouter, Gonella etc) have a TV that will have the World Cup final showing? I don't want to miss any climbing, but would also like to watch the final if England are in it.  I assume that the answer is "no" but would welcome any confirmation.  Thanks

TomGB 10 Jul 2018
In reply to gallonj:

A mate watched the match on his phone outside the Cosmiques the other day so there's pretty reasonable 4G. No TVs though. 

Post edited at 13:36
 Skip 10 Jul 2018
In reply to gallonj:

You're lucky to be away from it all. Just relax and accept your freedom.

GridNorth 10 Jul 2018
In reply to gallonj:

I watched the 2000 world cup in the Torino Hut.

Al

OP gallonj 10 Jul 2018
In reply to TomGB:

Thanks Tom

OP gallonj 10 Jul 2018
In reply to GridNorth:

Thanks

yorkshireman 10 Jul 2018
In reply to gallonj:

TF1 are streaming all the matches for free and it works pretty good over 3/4G. I just searched Fifa World Cup and the Google results show the matches with a link to 'watch live' which just took me the game - watched it on the tram in Paris but I can't vouch for the signal at the huts.

OP gallonj 10 Jul 2018
In reply to yorkshireman:

Thanks

GarethSL 10 Jul 2018
In reply to gallonj:

The Albigna Hut had the footie playing on a laptop a few weeks ago. I imagine there will be plenty of near real time, second or third hand info flying around regardless of where you are.

Reminds me of the time we tried to watch the 2014 Brazil - Germany game on the internet at Kapp Linné. We had a group of Brazilians with us, but the connection was so bad we swapped to the radio. Unfortunately the commentary was all in Norwegian and the Brazilians were clearly not happy with our translation of the events. Can't for the life of me think why :^)

yorkshireman 10 Jul 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

> The Albigna Hut had the footie playing on a laptop a few weeks ago. I imagine there will be plenty of near real time, second or third hand info flying around regardless of where you are.

The lag might be a problem if you're getting multiple feeds with people getting different speeds.

I used to live in Islington in a rooftop apartment only a KM away from the Emirates Stadium. I remember watching Arsenal on TV in the Champions League and there was always a delay of a couple of seconds for the TV feed - I guess satellite uplink etc - so when there was a penalty for instance you always knew before it was taken from the roar of the crowd whether it went in or not before you saw it on screen.

In reply to yorkshireman:

It takes 3 seconds for sound to travel 1km so if there was a 2 second delay between your TV and hearing it live, perhaps the tv delay is 5 seconds!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...