UKC

FS: 50m x 10mm climbing rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RobertRedhouse (user since 28/Jul/20) 06 May 2023
Title updated
Price: £30.00

50m rope in excellent condition, 10 years old but hardly used and never fallen on, carefully stored in dry conditions.  Buyer can collect if in Cambs/Suffolk area.  Call 01787 277456 for details

barbeg 06 May 2023
In reply to RobertRedhouse:

100 mm a bit heavy duty for me.....

blackcat 06 May 2023
In reply to barbeg:

We need a bigger belay device

Siggy 06 May 2023

I thought after 10 years of storing the rope, regardless of use you shouldn’t be using it due to degradation? 

LucaC 07 May 2023
In reply to Siggy:

That’s correct. Many manufacturers state a maximum 10 year lifespan. I wouldn’t go climbing on this.

there was some guy looking for old rope for his forest school, perhaps you could find that post and he might be interested? 

deepsoup 07 May 2023
In reply to Siggy:

> I thought after 10 years of storing the rope, regardless of use you shouldn’t be using it due to degradation? 

That's for the buyer to decide.  As long as the seller is straight about it, it's nobody else's business.

Siggy 07 May 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

> That's for the buyer to decide.  As long as the seller is straight about it, it's nobody else's business.

In reply to deepsoup:

Not trying to offend anyone here, just legit trying to clarify information that hurts no one. 

As a potential buyer, and as a new climber I am not sure what people do about used things and how they go about safety whilst using them. 

mrjonathanr 08 May 2023
In reply to Siggy:

> As .. a new climber I am not sure what people do about used things and how they go about safety whilst using them. 

Here is some info to help you form your own view:

https://blog.weighmyrack.com/lifespan-of-a-climbing-rope-when-to-retire/

In reply to mrjonathanr:

I've been climbing since 1972, middle grade rock, alpine, some Scottish winter; never had a serious accident.  Bought the rope new around 2012, only use it about three times (once on Bowfell Butress-but had to abseil off due to rain.  Changes in my life and older age meant giving up rock climbing, so I decided to offer the rope.  Obviously no-one would consider using to lead serious grades, but it would be OK for top roping etc.  The patonising and sarcastic comments were tedious to say the least.  It's buyer beware and I have been perfectly honest about my offer.  It's not a 100mm (ship's) hawser laid antique and anyone can make a typo!

mrjonathanr 09 May 2023

>  The patonising and sarcastic comments were tedious to say the least.  It's buyer beware and I have been perfectly honest about my offer.  

I hope my post didn’t seem condescending, it wasn’t intended that way. With information people can make informed decisions.

>It's not a 100mm (ship's) hawser laid antique and anyone can make a typo!

Good to know! FWIW my first climbs were with a hawser laid 11mm. Nightmare when wet! And yes, typos are trivial and, like yours, don’t usually impede understanding.

Hope you find the opportunity to do a bit more climbing or bouldering.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...