UKC

FS: Classic climbing / mountaineering books for sale

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Allanfairfechan (user since 02/Sep/14) 21 Jul 2021
Price: £50.00

Due to a lack of space and a lot of grief from the better half about getting rid of my clutter (aka books) I'm having to sell the following. Please email me if you are interested and postage will be £3.50 (inc recorded delivery) per book unless otherwise stated. Many thanks for looking.

Allan

Blank on the Map by Eric Shipton (1st Edition 1938)

I love this book and its in good condition with fold out map to rear. It is however an ex-library copy in library boards and apart from a couple of removed labels on front endpaper and one rubber stamp mark nothing detracts from the content and all plates present. Perfect copies go for silly money so this is a bit of a bargain for a first edition (£40.00)

Everest 1938 by H W Tilman (1st Edition 1948)

Hardcover in good plus condition, although the expedition was pre second world war he was somewhat 'busy' and did not complete the book until 1947. (£8.00)

The Hard Years by Joe Brown (3rd Impression 1969)

A great read and in very good condition with facsimile dust jacket in protective sleeve. (£10.00)

The Night Climbers of Cambridge by 'Whipplesnaith' (1953 Edition)

An uncommon title hardcover in good condition with dust jacket in protective plastic sleeve. Great pics and tales of urban climbing the in the university city. (£12.00)

The Ascent of Nanda Devi by H W Tilman (1937 Edition)

Another classic and in very good condition. Pictorial boards slightly faded on spine. (£5.00)

Kangchenjunga - The Untrodden Peak by Charles Evans (1st Edition 1956)

The story of the successful first ascent by Joe Brown & George Band. A good read. Book is in very good condition (£4.00)

Starlight & Storm by Gaston Rebuffat (2nd Edition)

A great read and this edition has more pictures than the first so complements it somewhat. Book is in very good condition with similar dust jacket. (£7.00)

Coronation Everest by James Morris (1st Edition 1958)

An uncommon first edition in good condition but ex-library with some stickers to front endpapers. Nothing intrusive though to the reading. I quite enjoyed this book.

Snow on the Equator by H W Tilman (1st Edition 1937)

Another Tilman classic, his first book mostly based on his African adventures with Eric Shipton but also his telling of his farming exploits make for a great read. The book is ex-library with library boards but is in good condition with no stamp marks. This is not the travel club edition and is the true first edition by G. Bell & Son. (£10.00)

Triumph & Tribulation by H W Tilman (1st Edition 1977)

Tilman's last book, he disappeared the following year in the South Atlantic. Hardcover in very good condition with dust jacket. As usual a really good read. (£6.00)

Let's Go Climbing by Colin Kirkus (2nd Edition 1946)

An absolute classic in good condition though the dust jacket is a bit tatty with some tears. A must have read. (£10.00)

The Seventh Grade by Reinhold Messner (1st Edition 1974)

The outstanding mountaineers first book in very good condition with a very good dust jacket which is only slightly faded on the spine. A good read and quite uncommon / expensive. (£20.00)

Portrait of a Mountaineers by Don Whillans (Paperback)

Another classic read, paperback only in good condition (£7.00 including postage)

Mountaineering in Scotland by W H Murray (1st Edition 1947)

Another awesome read famously written (twice) in a POW camp during the second world war. Book is in very good condition.

Mischief in Patagonia by H W Tilman (1st Edition 1957)

Bill Tilman's first sailing book and a classic read. Also the most expensive of his sailing books. Book is hardcover but ex library with the usual defects but they do not detract from the reading. (£8.00)

On Snow & Rock by Gaston Rebuffat (1965 reprint)

A classic instructional work full of the authors usual dramatic climbing pictures. Ex-library with dust jacket. In good condition with only a couple of stamp marks. (£5.00)

Summits and Secrets by Kurt Diemberger (1st Edition 1971)

Another absolute classic of mountaineering literature. hardcover with dust jacket in very good condition (£12.00)

The Mountains of Snowdonia by Herbert Carr & G A Lister (1st Edition 1925)

A lovely book telling all about the mountains, lakes and rivers of Snowdonia as well as the culture and literature of the area. A classic title and this is the proper first edition and not the slimmer 1948 edition. The book is in very good condition. (£15.00)

Assault on Mount Everest by C G Bruce (2nd impression 1924)

A classic and one of the trilogy of the early Everest books. The book is a large volume ex library book with usual defects and bound in library buckram boards with leather spine. Nothing detracts from the reading and looks grand on bookshelf but price reflects condition (£38 including postage - a large and heavy book).

The Fight for Everest by E F Norton (1st Edition 1925)

The last of the early Everest books and perhaps the saddest in the re-telling of the disappearance of Mallory & Irvine. Condition as for the previous book but in slightly better condition. The book is a great read but as condition is far from perfect the price reflects this (£48.00 including postage - a large and heavy book)

Please email me if you wish to buy and I'll email my bank details. All books will be sent recorded delivery for safety.

In reply to Allanfairfechan:

Apologies Mountaineering in Scotland is £8.00 !

Fredt 21 Jul 2021

I'd like all 5(?) Tilman books please, Is that £35 total?

In reply to Fredt:

Hello,

It's £37.00 in total plus postage.

All five books weigh 2.5 kilo's so cheapest first class signed for is £16.85 or second class £10.00.

Please email me direct to discuss further.

Best regards

Allan

The Hard Years, |Seventh Grade and Mountaineering in Scotland now sold

Thank you

Fredt 21 Jul 2021

Have mailed you.

Hi, please can I have Night Climbers of Cambridge if still available. 

Thank you

All Tilman books are now sold, thank you

In reply to Sam W:

I have replied to your email. 

Thank you

Allan

Night Climbers of Cambridge now sold, thank you

Ooops Coronation Everest is £8.00, really should check post before posting !

louiswain 21 Jul 2021

Can I have Coronation Everest if still available, please?

Post edited at 18:12
In reply to louiswain:

Hello I have emailed you.

Regards

Allan

Coronation Everest now also sold, thank you

Great list of books! I’m sorry I missed Triumph and Tribulation by Tillman. 

In reply to Linda Orritt:

Sorry but same chap requested all five of the Tilman books !

I've messaged you over the Snowdonia book, another UKC'er has also requested this book but you messaged first so let me know if you definitely still want it.

regards

Allan

Have emailed you about the Colin Kirkus book.

Ben

In reply to benrhyd:

Hello,

I've sent you an email.

Cheers

Allan

Still for sale are :

On Snow & Rock by Gaston Rebuffat

Summits & Secrets by Kurt Diemberger

Blank on the Map by Eric Shitpon

Portrait of a Mountaineer by Don Whillans

Starlight & Storm by Gaston Rebuffat

Kangchenjunga by Charles Evans

Fight for Everest by E F Norton

Assault on Mount Everest by C G Bruce

Lets Go Climbing by C F Kirkus

Mountains of Snowdonia by Carr & Lister

Also have Cho Oyu by Herbert Tichy (Hardback 1st Edition £40 inc postage - quite rare) and Travels amongst the Great Andes of the Equator by Edward Whymper (2nd Edition 1892 - Ex-lib but in ok condition with the map in rear pocket which is often missing) (£30.00 inc postage)

Kind regards

Allan

Post edited at 12:52

Mountains of Snowdonia and Let's Go Climbing also now sold thank you.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...