/ FS: GSY TRAD (Guernsey) guide

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Frank the Husky (user since 22/Jul/12)31 Jul 2019

Price: £10

I have an unused copy of this weirdly titled guide for sale.

Despite the fact that it's probably the worst guidebook I've seen in years, it does have the merit of being the most up to date guide to every route on the island (published 2018, 335p).

Certainly of interest to collectors and anyone who missed out on the original print run of (I think) 100 copies. Climbers on Guernsey might also be interested.

http://www.gmc.org.gg/2015-guide-book/

kinderguide@hotmail.com

Post edited at 13:08
Toerag 01 Aug 2019
In reply to Frank the Husky:

It may not be the most aesthetic guide, but it'll certainly put you on the routes as well as any other guidebook does if not better.

andyr 01 Aug 2019
In reply to Frank the Husky:

I'll have it.

Frank the Husky 03 Aug 2019
In reply to andyr:

I’ve sent you an email via UKC.

I’m on kinderguide@hotmail.com

Frank the Husky 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Toerag:

You're right about the aesthetics - only two poor pictures of climbing in the whole guide, the unnecessarily weird title, a bland coastal scenery shot for the front and rear covers and tiny print and topo shots. I got the book firmly intending to use it to plan a 2 week trip to the island to climb, but within 20 minutes of opening the book I was so frustrated by it that I abandoned any thoughts of ever going to Guernsey to climb.

Yes, it has the merit of being the most up to date & comprehensive list of routes on the island and that has to be a good thing. However, I think that unless you have a local with you, or the patience of a saint it is as much of a hindrance as it is a help. There were a number of simple things that could have been done to improve the book's functionality, but hopefully the next edition might incorporate some of those.

Despite all my negativity, there has to be credit given to James Burton for taking on the huge task of documenting the routes, because without him there would be maybe nothing or just that old CC guide from 1987.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.