/ Wanted: , vf kit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
afshapes (user since 18/Feb/10)14 Jun 2019

Any vf kits out there for sale ? Cheers

gethin_allen 14 Jun 2019
In reply to afshapes:

If you can't find one second hand have a look at decathlon. They have a simond kit for £40. I've just bought one. It seems well made if a bit heavy but I've never used one before so I don't know if that's normal.

Neil Williams 14 Jun 2019
In reply to gethin_allen:

They generally are quite heavy as with a potential factor 5+ fall to deal with they need to be strong and the krabs need to be able to deal with loading in all directions e.g. side loading.  What you tend to pay for in pricier kits is krabs designed for easier release and features like rotating joins between the screamer and the lanyards so it doesn't get twisted.

Post edited at 09:27
cragtyke 14 Jun 2019

The simond ones are fine, but the grab lock type krabs are a bit easier to use. Have a look at Screwfix for fingerless gloves.

GavClayton 16 Jun 2019
In reply to afshapes:

I have a mammut set-up. Don’t think it’s ever been used. My brother bought it wanting to do a trip, but never went. Pm me for pics?

cheers,

Gav

GavClayton 16 Jun 2019
In reply to afshapes:

So I wondered why I couldn’t find any similar sets to mine currently on sale and...they aren’t safe! Apparently after a fatality, various brands had recalls on sets. My Mammut Y setup is listed in this recall video which might be worth watching if you’re looking at second hand sets. I’m going to send mine back to mammut so am not offering it for sale any more, sorry.

https://www.desnivel.com/material/material-noticias/llamada-general-a-la-revision-de-sets-de-vias-ferrata-basados-en-sistemas-de-friccion/

ps video does have subtitles!

afshapes 16 Jun 2019
In reply to GavClayton:

No worries,  thanks for the heads up ! 

gethin_allen 16 Jun 2019
In reply to GavClayton:

There was also a recall on a load of petzl VF sets a while back, good to check these out of anyone gets offered one second hand.

gethin_allen 16 Jun 2019
In reply to cragtyke:

I was wondering if I should have some gloves, I'll have a look.

I was also wondering when else we should be packing, I've heard people talking about carrying a short length of dynamic rope. Any useful tips or any suggestions for VF routes around the Triglav area of Slovenia?

afshapes 18 Jun 2019

Helmet,  harness,  fingerless gloves good shoes,  waterproofs , I only did grade 4 in the dolomites last time and when it got tricky I just hauled on the wire

Jenny C 18 Jun 2019

Rope (and a belay device each) is handy if you have lots of downclimbing, or a weaker climbing partner as you can top rope them up tricky bits. We have 20m half rope but rarely use it as you move much slower once you rope up, which kind of kills the appeal of doing VF.

Don't waste your pennies expensive VF gloves. Well fitting builders gloves are absolutely fine, a fraction of the cost and no more durable. Some people swear by gloves and others never use them, they are handy if cable hauling or climbing on ladders but far from essential.

​​​​​​

gethin_allen 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Jenny C + afshapes:

Thanks both.

I do have an old knackered half rope that's been chopped down but I think it is probably beyond use. 

Builders gloves are a good idea if I can find any in small size. Everything I've seen locally have been large size only and I've no time to buy online I don't think.

Jenny C 18 Jun 2019

Try gardening gloves - more likely to be available of the shelf in small sizes. 

cragtyke 19 Jun 2019

MTB gloves will do at a pinch, a sling and krabs to clip in for a rest if needed on steep sections or unbraced wire bridges, water and snacks on long routes, sun protection.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.