UKC

Wanted: Ailefroide guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rik (user since 20/Aug/04) 05 May 2023

Does anyone have a copy of Escalades autour d'Ailefroide by Jean-Michal Cambon that they’d be willing to sell? Heading there in 3 weeks. Happy to pay a fair price and postage (or pick up in South Devon). Thanks.

Rik

Post edited at 08:39

John Ww 05 May 2023
In reply to Rik:

Hi Rik, I've got one, but unfortunately it's in Germany,  so not much help to you. On a side note however, I was in Ailefroide last month, and walked past the memorial to JMC in the middle of the village. A quick Google explains the cause of the accident which sadly killed him...

"According to the report, the accident happened when he was working on a new route and was hanging on a fixed rope using a jumar. He had a loop of rope attaching the jumar to his harness. Trying to repeat a move to find the best location to drill for a bolt, he took a fall with slack in the system, leading to a high fall factor. The rope loop attached to his harness didn't resist the load from the fall and broke."

If that isn't a lesson for us all about Fall Factors,  i dont know what is. Have a great time in Ailefroide, it's a lovely place.

In reply to Rik:

If you cant find one, it's really easy to pick up locally (French and English versions). There is also a newish version of the Oisans Nouveau Oisans Sauvage which has the Ailefroide Multi pitch and all the south multi pitch in the area.

Also the Rolland guide - Brain climbs has some Aliefroide and the other sports climbing in the area.

have a great trip.

cheers

OP Rik 05 May 2023
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Thanks for both the replies. I’ve been offered an English language edition - in the post tomorrow. UKC at its best.

I’ve also got the Briancon guide, but couldn’t remember from last year if the Cambon guide was easily available locally.

Excited to be going back there.

Post edited at 14:32
 joem 05 May 2023
In reply to Rik:

anyone know if information on the bouldering there is easy to come by? 

Heading out in September for a week. 

SCClimb 05 May 2023
In reply to joem:

The bouldering guidebook is available in the village for €12. Definitely the easiest way to work out where they all are. Clear and concise. FYI pads are very easy to hire in the village too, so no need to bring them.

joem 10 May 2023
In reply to SCClimb:

Thanks man really helpful! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...