UKC

/ Wanted: Cheap 1/2 man tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
knighty - on 25 May 2018 - user since 09/Jun/10

I'm after a 1/2 man tent for relatively cheap for festival abuse! I'm not fussy about brands, but must still be waterproof ;)

Bristol area would be ideal.

Dave the Rave on 25 May 2018
In reply to knighty:

Which half is it to fit? Top half or bottom?

The Lemming - on 25 May 2018
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Which half is it to fit? Top half or bottom?

Isn't that a 50:50 question?

mik82 - on 25 May 2018
In reply to knighty:

If it's for a festival, you could get a cheap one from decathlon for £20

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-2-tent-2-man-green--id_8293539.html

Dave the Rave on 25 May 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> Isn't that a 50:50 question?

Or an ecumenical matter? Drink!

Dell on 26 May 2018
In reply to knighty:

All the supermarkets have their camping range in. Lots of cheap stuff to be had. 

knighty - on 26 May 2018
In reply to Dell:

I'd rather buy a half decent used tent than a crap new one. It doesn't sit well with me buying shit quality knowing that it'll be thrown in landfill before too long.

Pedro50 on 26 May 2018
In reply to knighty:

Cheap tents from Decathlon, Go Outdoors etc. can be perfectly robust, they'll just be heavy. They may last longer than some ultra light high tech product. The question is will you ever want to carry it anywhere? 

Dell on 27 May 2018
In reply to knighty:

I've had many years car camping out of my Woolworths £25 2 man dome tent, still going strong too. 

Repaired a tear with tape and replaced a wind damaged pole using a pole repair set which cost an additional fiver.  

At least you know a new tent won't have been subjected to any UV, although the recycling aspect of using someones old tent is commendable. 

Tom Ripley - on 11 Jun 2018
In reply to knighty:

You've got mail.

The Wild Scallion on 11 Jun 2018
In reply to knighty:

> I'd rather buy a half decent used tent than a crap new one. It doesn't sit well with me buying shit quality knowing that it'll be thrown in landfill before too long.

So you would rather have a decent used tent and throw that in the landfill instead ?????

mmmmmm

pasbury on 11 Jun 2018
In reply to Dell:

> All the supermarkets have their camping range in. Lots of cheap stuff to be had. 

Some are so shite that they will last less than one trip though.

Luke90 on 11 Jun 2018
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

I think his implication was that the used tent would last longer and, in any case, not consume extra resources by being manufactured.

knighty - on 11 Jun 2018
In reply to Luke90:

> I think his implication was that the used tent would last longer and, in any case, not consume extra resources by being manufactured.

Thanks Luke.

Generally, I'm thinking of it in the following way: I am willing to spend, for example, £30 on a tent, knowing that it will get heavy use/abuse. I can either buy a new Quecha tent from Decathlon, or a decent second hand Vango etc tent. I'm not a lover of buying cheap throwaway items, given the state of the Earth.

Hence why all the helpful comments saying buy new are missing the mark by an awfully large margin. 

Post edited at 13:29
Brett - on 25 Jun 2018
In reply to knighty:

I have sent my Cabela's 6 man guide model back 2 times, and at no charge have recieved a new one, new poles, and rain fly.Several years ago I bought my first one with the Aluminum poles and took it on a float trip over on the Alaska peninsula.with only a small thicket of Alders and Willows to protect us, the 80 mph winds tore the tent up. bent the Aluminum poles and wore holes in the fly.The same storm tore up and flipped a plane that was tied down at the King Salmon Airport. Two planes were damaged so bad they were not able to fly over in Naknek too. I sent the tent back to Cabela's and told them what happened. I got a new tent back. I recieved a phone call from the people that designed the Guide model and they had set up my damaged tent to see what failed.I told them to just put the tent in a wind tunnel and fire it up to 80 mph with gust a little higher and then add a fire hose aimed it on full to recreate the event.I don't use either one of my Guide models anymore because I do mostly float trips and they are not easy to set up in rain and take down and then set up again each day.. their are different brands and models that set up take down alot faster..these models will keep you dry and hold up in the rough weather,,( I have a Eureka https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-canvas-tents/ that I really like now) but I would take the guide model with me for drop camps etc. where I was camping in one spot for a week or longer at a time. I sent the newer Guide model back once too due to rub holes in the material from high winds over a 3 day event on a different trip..My next door neighbor bought the other tent you suggested from Cabelas ( can't remember the name) .. I think he got the 4 man...and he uses it on the Haul road etc. He is a road side camper and he likes it ok. He bought the kit that you can get to set it up in the rain.I have sent one of my Guide models over to Kodiak with a friend of mine on two different spring Bear trips and he said it is the cats meow for those trips. He stays in the tent for 2 weeks at a time and enjoys the room and the ability to stand up, Also when set up properly, with a drop cloth underneath, you can really stay dry in really rainy trips.. like Kodiak and the Peninsula

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.