UKC

/ Wanted: Garmin Fenix or Suunto Ambit watch

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
mbd on 13 Apr 2018 - user since 27/Nov/15

I'm looking for a used Garmin Fenix or a Suunto Ambit watch with a battery life on GPS longer than 24 hours. So the Fenix 3 and the Ambit 3 are fine but perhaps there are others by Garmin/Suunto that also exceed that time. Dont mind a few scratches etc - the biggest thing for me is the price as I wont use it enough to justify the new price tag. Thanks

Phil79 - on 13 Apr 2018
In reply to mbd:

I think you'll need the Ambit 3 Peak for longest battery life.

I have an Ambit 3 Sport and don't think I'd get 24 hrs if using GPS constantly. Have used it for 5-6 hrs and its drained a fair chunk of the battery.

Cloverleaf - on 13 Apr 2018
In reply to Phil79:

Ambit 3 peak is definitely the best for battery life. Not sure if they've still got the deals on but at one point you could get it for less than £200 on Sport Pursuit.

Dom Brown - on 13 Apr 2018
In reply to mbd:

I have one of these I want to get rid of.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/suunto-spartan-ultra-titanium-gps-watch-with-hrm/

I'm open to offers

Post edited at 11:10
Dave Kerr - on 13 Apr 2018
In reply to mbd:

The Ambit 3 Peak gives about 20hrs at the highest rate of sampling. On the 2nd best rate it gives about 30 hrs and accuracy is pretty good. At the lowest rate I think you get 200hrs but accuracy is very poor, over the course of a long day running mine measured several km less than a friend's at the higher rate.

richlan - on 13 Apr 2018
In reply to mbd:

The Fenix 3 is quoted as 16 hours in activity mode with GPS, the 5 is 24 hours.

Ultratrac extends this on both way above 24 hours but reading reviews and looking at some sample GPS tracks its not very accurate for any real use.

PS: Happy Fenix 5 user here.

mbd on 13 Apr 2018
In reply to mbd:

Thanks for the comments. I had figured on the Ambit 3 as it was a bit cheaper than the Fenix 3/5 but thought that perhaps a second hand Fenix might be better value. I really dont need all the bells and whistles - apart from the long battery life, I just really need a facility to load GPX files and follow the tracks they produce.

Thanks for the offer Dom, but I'm afraid your one is a bit out of the price range I'm looking at and I dont think I could offer you a fair price.

jay lafferty on 14 Apr 2018
In reply to mbd:

I have an Ambit 3 peak for sale  send me an email  to baldygenius@googlemail.com and ill send over pics  ill give you a fair price 

Jay 

shuffle - on 15 Apr 2018
In reply to mbd:

if you only want the extended battery life and are not fussed about the various other features, could you use a cheaper watch and charge it whilst in use?

Not all can be charged whilst in use and some lose the display whilst a charger is connected. Section 2.4 shows which can:

fellrunr.com/wiki/Best_Running_Watch

mbd on 15 Apr 2018
In reply to shuffle:

Thanks for the info - and it's a fair point you make. I've seen others doing that in long races but I'd quite like to avoid having to go down that road. More to carry and more to faff with when hands have lost all dexterity...

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.