UKC

Wanted: Karrimor Whillans Alpiniste

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Jp (user since 13/Jan/13) 14 Jul 2021

Just come across these rucksacks, they look decent: small, tough and no frills (like their namesake, I suppose). Does anyone have one they'd like to give, sell or exchange for an MRT donation?

I'm not looking to sell it on or merely don it down Shoreditch High St (pardon the pun). I genuinely want one for the crag, I'm sick of shiny bin-liner polyester gear.

Albert Tatlock 14 Jul 2021
 Jp 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

I've seen them, they look brill. Maybe a holiday treat if I'm ever over in the States! Alas, just a smidge over budget

john campbell 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Jp:

I'll be in UK in October showing at the Bespoked Handmade bicycle show in Harrogate. I'll have some packs there.

JC

TMM 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Jp:

There is a Haston Vallot and Haston Alpiniste on the auction site.

Neither are are anything to do with me!

Prices suggest the most owners recognise the cult demand for them.

wbo2 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Jp:  The one I had was large and blinking heavy.  Assume it's at my mothers.....

Basemetal 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Jp:

There's one on Evilbay BIN just now, no connection...

Jp 14 Jul 2021
In reply to john campbell:

Amazing, may well see you there!

Jp 14 Jul 2021
In reply to TMM:

Aye, that's my fear. They are relics of a bygone era! 

Jp 14 Jul 2021
In reply to wbo2:

Imagine it is heavy but alright for cragging. Well if you ever do find it, let me know!

john campbell 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Jp:

stand #22. I'm riding the UK Divide from John o Groats to yorkshire beforehand. when I showed at Bespoke in 2019, I didn't bring any sacs, and lots wanted to see them. i'll have a few under the table....

john campbell 15 Jul 2021
In reply to Jp:

I have an original canvas pinnacle . the grayish/green canvas, white straps with felt. one of the first iterations. in good shape for it's age. contact me from the alpine luddites website if your keen or want photos.

Jp 15 Jul 2021
In reply to wbo2:

Just seen on JC's site that they start at 55l, that is big. Still, that's an extra beer or two at the crag!

Jp 15 Jul 2021
In reply to john campbell:

Sweet, good luck with that. Plenty of divides to ride in UK at the moment, don't get lost!

I'll let you know if I'm interested in any particular bag. (I'm interested in them all, but could probably afford just a buckle!) Great site BTW, love the gear. 😊

Martin Bennett 15 Jul 2021

> US equivalent, not cheap 

That's like the Haston Alpiniste rather than the Whillans which was orange with a black leather base. I had two in my early climbing days - first one got stolen, 2nd one was used so much it practically fell off my back leaving Lower Sharpnose one day in the early 80s. Still have the  Haston version that followed it, but tend not to use it.

john campbell 15 Jul 2021
In reply to Martin Bennett:

yes, it's the Haston version. A friend who used to work at Chouinard Equipment gave me an Orange/black Whillans. someday I'll find the time to create a replica version. the leather harness and felt shoulder strap padding has held me up. i haven't found a source to make this for me.

I used a purple  alpinist for years. I have one of the purple haston in the shop , anlong with a Vallot, 3 different versions of the Joe Brown, including the blue/red canvas original. I use my late 80's joe brown all the time.

Babika 15 Jul 2021
In reply to TMM:

I hadn't realised I had a cult rucksack! 

After languishing on a shelf for over 30 years I've started using mine again for wild camping trips as it holds a lot. A couple of weeks ago up Hvannadalshnukur in Iceland we had truly bad weather. The sack performed brilliantly - what's not to like?

I think the OP will be lucky to get one gifted

Albert Tatlock 15 Jul 2021
In reply to Jp:

Keep your eye out for 

Karrimor Chamonix sac 

or

Troll Troltind sac 

both were great alpine sacs from the 70 / 80s and similar to a Whillans sac.

Post edited at 22:10
 stevesmith 19 Jul 2021
In reply to Jp:

Have a look at aiguillealpine.co.uk for their bomb-proof sacks, made in Cumbria

OwenM 19 Jul 2021
In reply to Jp:

I've a Karrmor Alpiniste, not the purple one this one is blue 45+15 lts I think. If you're interested send me a DM.

john campbell 19 Jul 2021
In reply to stevesmith:

> Have a look at aiguillealpine.co.uk for their bomb-proof sacks, made in Cumbria

excellent sacs.

john campbell 24 Jul 2021

you can read about my inspiration to build the Alpinist in this interview from last week.

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2021/07/the-coolest-prof-on-campus-is-luddite-backpack-builder-john-campbell/

> US equivalent, not cheap 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...