UKC

/ Wanted: New Zealand maps wanted

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
tom.fleming17 - on 06 Dec 2018 - user since 28/Dec/12

Hi all,

Myself and my partner are heading to NZ in Jan and planning on doing some classic tramps. Maps are a tad awkard to get in the UK ive found, but everything in NZ is expensive.

Does anyone have any NZ maps they'd sell or donate to some happy trekers.

Ideally the Glenorchy CB10 map for the Rees dart trek.

And the foirdland maps: CE07 Lake Monowai, CD07 Manapouri.

Know this is a long short but you never know. Equally if you can suggest another other sites or resources that'd be cool.

PM mr if you can

Thanks

Tom

Pedro50 on 06 Dec 2018
In reply to tom.fleming17:

There are maps available to download on the docgovtnz website. I did 7 multi day walks in NZ and never bought a map, the track is normally obvious. The local tourist info sites are amazingly good with leaflets and free maps about tramping, huts etc. 

tom.fleming17 - on 06 Dec 2018
In reply to Pedro50:

Cheers man

Did you do the Ress Dart track? How obv is that? Looks like a well walked track but wasnt sure whether to risk a downloaded phone map over 5 days.

Pedro50 on 06 Dec 2018

No funnily enough we drove to the start due to doziness (we were going to do the Routeburn or Kepler, can't remember which.) This did mean that we went through Paradise where "Top of the Lake" was filmed so all good.   

The DOC (Department of Conservation) do a leaflet/brochure for each walk with a maps showing huts timings etc. I've just dug out the one I used for the Travers-Sabine/Blue Lake circuit (best walk I did BTW) and it was more than adequate. I would bet its obvious/well worn as it follows logical weaknesses and there will be sign posts at junctions. Enjoy

I do appreciate that some people might think it reckless to go tramping without a map!

Post edited at 17:35
tom.fleming17 - on 06 Dec 2018
In reply to Pedro50:

Brilliant. Cheers for the info and betam really appreciate that! 

I do remember most NZ walks being well signed posted and marked.

Cheers again for the help

olddirtydoggy - on 06 Dec 2018

We did the Routeburn out in a day and the Caples back on day 2 and I over planned the trip with laminated map downloads from topomap.nz. The huts needed booking in advance but as is already been advised, the leaflets from the DOC are more than enough. If you want the Glenorchy map I have it, more than happy to send it to you free of charge but it's overkill. It's easy to over think it given the way we advise here but the tramping tracks are very well signed.

There are some wonderful mountain routes there like Mt Earnslaw  for bigger summits and Mt Alaska if you want something a bit easier. Depends what sort of trip your after really. Maps I would use for mountain routes.

I've got a thread from last year with a load of info on here you should be able to find.

Good luck with the trip, it's an amazing place.

Post edited at 18:29
Pedro50 on 06 Dec 2018
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

With a very few exceptions huts only need booking on the so called Great Walks like the Routeburn, not the Rees Dart or similar.

olddirtydoggy - on 06 Dec 2018
In reply to Pedro50:

He's quite right, just the busier routes.

tripehound - on 11:53 Sun
In reply to tom. 

I got the whole of NZ on viewranger 1:50000 for £20 a while back. Not sure how much now but worth checking out.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.