Loading Notifications...

Wanted: Obscure gear for a mate's birthday?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 wjvt (user since 21/Jun/17) 17 Sep 2020

This might seem a bit broad but it's my mate's birthday and I thought some obscure (oldish?) bits of gear would be a fun present. Looking to spend around £20. Got an old battered skyhook that's just collecting dust? A uselessly small RP that you've never needed? A particularly funny shaped carabiner? 

McHeath 17 Sep 2020
In reply to wjvt:

Just happened to see this yesterday:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/klettergurt-edelrid-vintage-orange-seil-kletterseil/1514043301-230-9182

Looks to be in good nick, but definitely not for using ;) 

25€ VB means he's willing to bargain. 

slab_happy 17 Sep 2020
In reply to wjvt:

If you want "oddball but usable", the legendary Pink Tricam would fall within your budget.

Downside: high odds that your mate will then place the Pink Tricam on every route and you'll be the poor sod who has to try to remove it.

wjvt 17 Sep 2020
In reply to McHeath:

This definitely fits in to the oddball category! I'll have to see how much postage would be... good find though 

wjvt 17 Sep 2020
In reply to slab_happy:

The same thought popped in to my mind, seemed to be out of stock in a lot of places but maybe i just have to do a bit of digging 

The9inger 17 Sep 2020
In reply to wjvt:

There is a czech company I came across a while back which make camming slings for use on the sandstone there 

http://www.obrworks.cz/

Post edited at 17:54
 Ian Parsons 17 Sep 2020
In reply to McHeath:

> Just happened to see this yesterday:

Just a point of [possible] interest - in particular for those who looked at the linked image and winced. Shown as it is - ie upside down - the Edelrid 'Klettergurt' looks rather like a crude sit-harness with not very effective and uncomfortably thin legloops. It is, of course, a chest-harness - and those are the shoulder straps!

slab_happy 17 Sep 2020
In reply to wjvt:

> seemed to be out of stock in a lot of places

Clearly people are stockpiling because of the pandemic/Brexit. Toilet paper, flour and pink tricams.

Outside's got some:

https://www.outside.co.uk/brands/a-d/camp/camp-tri-cam.html

Ian Parsons 17 Sep 2020
In reply to slab_happy:

> Clearly people are stockpiling because of the pandemic/Brexit. Toilet paper, flour and pink tricams.

I can understand the toilet paper and tricams - but flour?

slab_happy 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> I can understand the toilet paper and tricams - but flour?

There was a dramatic flour shortage for a while there -- everyone stress-baking, I think. Lots of people deciding to displace all their anxieties onto the state of their sourdough starter.

Trangia 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> I can understand the toilet paper and tricams - but flour?

It's been a poor harvest this year. I was talking to a farmer last week who confirmed that the wheat yield this year was way down on previous seasons. This going to lead to shortages and price rises. I suspect that merchants are already stockpiling in anticipation of price rises

Chris Weedon 18 Sep 2020
In reply to wjvt:

I've got a Wild Country Z1 - the smallest cam they ever made. Never used as it looks more like a keyring. 

Send me an email if you would like a picture: chris.weedon@btinternet.com

Mark Stevenson 18 Sep 2020
In reply to wjvt:

I've still got a few left from a stash of unused original MOAC climbing chocks.

Vintage climbing gear doesn't get any more classic. Also, there are a few people out there who are still using them....

Drop me a message if interested. 

bpmclimb 18 Sep 2020
In reply to wjvt:

How about a Grivel Vlad? Twin gate crab/rigging plate combo. Odd bit of kit, cool green colour, quite tactile, might even be useful one day.

wjvt 19 Sep 2020

Thanks all for the ideas and offers, I've sorted it out now though so no longer need anything (although still always interested in what weird gear people have knocking about for interests sake) 

ablackett 19:21 Sun
 d_b 19:26 Sun
In reply to wjvt:

I have a Kong Gipsy that I bought because I was too cheap to get a #6 friend.  Used once, technically still available but certainly quite obscure.  It definitely has the obscure gear quality of inspiring no confidence whatsoever.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.