/ Wanted: Sub 1kg two-man tent

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
RWT (user since 11/Apr/17)21 Aug 2019

Hi All,

I'm looking for an sub 1kg two man tent, primarily for mountain marathon type events, but also for some solo overnights where a little bit of room to spread out is appreciated, hence not looking for a really tiny one man tent. 

We already have a nice 2 man tent with twin vestibules that's around the 1.65kg mark that's just a bit bigger than we really need for MMs (and solo stuff), and we're desperately trying to shave a bit of extra weight from our packs without spending a fortune or going stupid light by skimping on warm/spare clothes. 

So not interested in anything over 1kg, and just wondering if anyone has anything that fits the bill that they don't need and would let go at a reasonable price, maybe someone who's upgraded to one of the newer ultralight models. Feel free to PM me, thanks very much.

DaveHK 21 Aug 2019
In reply to RWT:

Trekkertent Stealth 1.5

I'm not selling mine though. 

Roomy for one and ok for two for occasional use.

Pedro50 21 Aug 2019
In reply to RWT:

Nordisk Telemark would fit your requirements. Expensive though 

RWT 21 Aug 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks Dave, I've seen their site and they look good alright, those and the Phreeranger (spelling?). 

RWT 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Pedro50:

Thanks Pedro - Yeah they're lovely tents, but pricey new. You never know, someone might be upgrading to the lighter one... 

DaveHK 21 Aug 2019
In reply to RWT:

I love mine. I got the heavier material and the rear zip and with the carbon poles it comes in at about a kilo. I've used it quite a lot including a few mountain marathons. Like all these things it has its limitations but for the use I've put it to it's been great.

Post edited at 20:19
jezb1 21 Aug 2019
RWT 21 Aug 2019
In reply to jezb1:

Thanks for that Jezb1, good review there. I should have said that being waterproof is top of the list, as I live in Ireland which is like Scotland and Wales on steroids when it comes to rain!

tripehound 22 Aug 2019
RWT 22 Aug 2019
In reply to tripehound:

Hi Tripehound,

Thanks for taking the time to post the links, very kind of you. I actually have an MLD pyramid I bought once in the States. Great for a purpose, but I've no inner and I don't use poles so I reason by the time I added both that the weight saving over my own tent mightn't be worth it.

Was really hoping someone might have a Laser or similar mountain marathon favourite they didn't want/need/use anymore. Even a one man would do if it was cheap(ish). 

DaveHK 22 Aug 2019
In reply to RWT:

> Was really hoping someone might have a Laser or similar mountain marathon favourite they didn't want/need/use anymore. Even a one man would do if it was cheap(ish). 

I'm probably in the minority but I had a Laser and didn't much like it. Not a lot of room for the weight, a bit fiddly to get a taught pitch and prone to condensation. Stitching also started separating on the inner after a couple of uses so I sent it back.

Post edited at 18:02
RWT 24 Aug 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks Dave, I know you have the TrekkerTent Stealth, and are a big fan, but did you get a look at their Phreeranger? It looks interesting.

My current tent is an older Sierra Designs, not sure of the model but fits two comfortably, is durable, has loads of head height for sitting up, is twin-skinned and waterproof, and has two vestibules and doors which is my favourite part for two-up camping. It's freestanding and has its own poles so you don't need to be carrying a walking pole - I find that anything that sets up with a walking pole can be a bit fiddly anyway because of the central position of the pole(s), and I like freestanding tents so I can move them round when I inevitably find out I've pitched facing the wrong way. Only drawback to this tent is the inner has a lot of mesh and it's an inner-first pitch, so it's a pain to pitch in the pissing rain (this seems to be a common theme amongst the US manufacturers). I never camp in the snow, so no idea how it would hold up there.

Does anyone have any ideas about what would basically be a smaller, lighter version of my current tent, with twin vestibules if possible? Mine's a hair under 1.7kg, so it's only worth me buying another one if the weight savings are significant i.e. 700g or so. The Nemo Hornet looks good but I seem to remember hearing some doubts about it standing up to British/Irish rain and wind. Budget is an issue, so whatever I buy has to be secondhand or cheapish new if possible, but I'd be interested to hear what's out there that fits this bill anyway. Tent weights seem to have come down to almost ridiculous levels but, like jackets, packs etcetera, I often wonder where the line is between lightweight and practical/useable/safe.

DaveHK 25 Aug 2019
In reply to RWT:

No, haven't seen the Phreeranger in the flesh, looks good though.

Post edited at 08:30
98%monkey 27 Aug 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Hubba Hubba ?

stevogiles 28 Aug 2019
In reply to RWT:

Hi 

I have a Big Agnes Fly Creek High Volume (926g).

The tent is in mint condition hardly used.

If your interested I could get you some pictures across.

Steve

RWT 28 Aug 2019
In reply to stevogiles:

Hi Steve, 

Was preferably looking for twin vestibules but am absolutely open, so feel free to pm me on some details and price. Thanks very much. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.