UKC

3-Season scrambling boots?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taurig 16 Mar 2013
I may be heading out with axe and crampons tomorrow, but part of me is already looking forward to the two weeks of warm, dry weather we'll get in Scotland for 2013. One item of kit that I think I need/just want is a pair of fairly light boots for scrambling and general hillwalking. I'd like to get up to Torridon, Skye and so on this year, so that kind of terrain. As good as my Scarpa SL's are as all rounders, I bought them to fit with thick Bridgedale socks, so over a certain temperature my feet literally stew in their own juices. They also aren't the lightest, and I admit it sounds like a bad workman blaming his tools, but they are a bit clumpy on harder scrambles.

I took a look at offerings from the main players and found the Scarpa Cristallo and the La Sportiva Trango S Evo. However, I can't help but think these will be too warm; although not a real winter boot, they are crampon compatible and I don't imagine they will be much different to my SL's in terms of warmth. I'd imagine they climb better, and they are a bit lighter, though.

Then there are slightly more specialized boots, like the Zamberlan Monster and the Garmont Vetta. I don't think I'd find these in my home city so it would mean a trip to Aviemore or the like. They might be less suitable for general hillwalking; the Zamberlan has a particularly low cuff.

Then part of me thinks why the hell do you need £200+ boots just to do a bit of scrambling, surely any light walking boot with a rubber rand would do? So I've also thought about the Mammut Mt Centry and the Meindl Softline, which can be found a fair bit cheaper than the 'alpine' boots above.

Sorry for the ramble, I don't have much on today! Any review of the above boots or other suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.
In reply to Taurig: Personally I have stuck with SLs since 1986 for scrambling and will continue to do so in hill areas where ankle support (for me) is needed. Its the only boot I use in say the Cuillin/Torridon for scrambling. I do have a pair of Cristallos which have their advantages and certainly alot lighter, but they are warm (personally don't like any GTX linings), and with the climbing toe they are not good I've found for all round walking as they slip on the soft stuff in ascents. I have slipped too many times that I have an aversion to wearing them sadly unless I know the ground is solid or it's lower level stuff, and I have never used them in anger as a consequence. I do hope to try them in the Cuillin this year to see If they are indeed better than the SLs though as they are a lot of money just to sit in the cupboard!
I also use scrambling approach shoes for low level stuff where ankle support not really needed, but that's a different thing.
Personal preference with me and I am prepared to accept the limitations of SLs for the all round benefit of go anywhere I need to go, but others will be sure to disagree.
 crustypunkuk 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Taurig:
Have a look at the Salewa Rapace- i got a pair before christmas, and they may just be the comfiest 3 season boots i've ever worn.
OP Taurig 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Taurig:

Those look good, seem to have renamed Moutain Trainer Mid:

http://www.salewa.co.uk/product/alpine+approach/ms-mtn-trainer-mid-gtx-1

Can I ask where you got them from? Haven't seen Salewa in the shops yet and I'm reluctant to buy boots off the interet.
 Denni 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Taurig:

Cristallos are fantastic boots but, a goretex lining spoils them for summer and if it is wet, they do slightly slip. Trango's, again excellent boots but quite narrow.

See if you can get hold of a pair of the old Mescalitos, mine are awesome and on their third sole! Failing that, there are also the Mescalitos replacement the Pro Ascent. I think some tree surgeon type companies still sell them, they are excellent.
OP Taurig 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:

Didn't expect two comments about Cristallos being slippy in the wet. Still, guess they're too warm anyway so no biggie. I've heard conflicting views on here as to how narrow La Sportivas are. I had to get the BXX wide last for my SL's, so I'd try a pair on for the craic but I wouldn't expect them to fit.

Pro Ascents, never seen them before, but again raise the problem of buying online. Happy to drive to Fort William or Aviemore from the Central Belt to buy boots but I would like to try them on first. Thanks for the info though.
Murvis 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Taurig:
The Trangos are narrow. If you are used to Scarpa you'll feel a marked difference. I've found the narrower toe is great for getting into cracks and recessed holds. Nice and stiff and confidence inspiring too.
Mine are the 'Alp' version and feel like they'll be a bit too cosy for the summer but imo it'll be worth putting up with for the security they provide on the steep stuff.

Ray Sparks 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Taurig: hi i have the sl actives and the cristallos, ide say the sl is slippy on greasy wet rock but what boot isnt! The cristallos are much grippier on wet rock light and very good fitting ideal for summer scrambling, i have the jorrases for winter and once again they are superb.
Cant fault scarpa hope that helps.
OP Taurig 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Murvis:

Highly likely they'd be too narrow for me then, oh well. If Scarpa made a last with a BXX forefoot and a BX heel they would fit me like a glove.
 Denni 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Taurig:

Just as a guide, I fit Scarpa EU 45 absolutely perfectly with thicker socks on with the Trango's, I needed thin socks and a size 46.5!
 atrendall 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni: Don't know what size boots you are after but the Scarpa Mescalito seem to attract lots of praise and I have a pair for sale in the relevent forum at a bargain price. To quote one resonse "I keep looking at this and wishing they were my size. I wore out two pairs of them years ago; wonderful shoes. Somebody snatch his hand off."
 Call-Me-Bryce 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Taurig:
The Salewa Mtn Mids are in Tisos
fil-p 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Taurig: again it depends if it fits. I've wide flat feet, but trango s and trango extreme evos fit straight from the box even though everyone says they're narrow
 Becky E 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Taurig:
Trango S Evos are pretty light and although warm enough for summer alpine stuff, I wouldn't use them in UK winter. They are my preferred boot in general: I often wear them in preference to my other summery walking boots - possibly because they fit better and also because they're better on scrambly ground.
 Cameron94 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Taurig: Probably outside of your criteria but I use a pair of scarpa charmoz as go to boots, I go scrambling or climbing every time I'm out though and I wanted a boot that would survive on Gabbro. They are more of a 4 season boot though with the option to put C2 crampons on them.

As has been pointed out the Salewa mountain mid trainer or mountain trainer could be good options. Tiso stocks some of their footwear if you're struggling to find it.
OP Taurig 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Call-Me-Bryce:

So they are, was in the Glasgow Tiso yesterday and they didn't have them, although I thought their selection was overly rambler-centric. I'll try the Outdoor Ex, as I do like the look of them, hope they fit!
 crustypunkuk 18 Mar 2013
In reply to Taurig:
I got mine for a steal direct from Germany from bikedirect.de for £100 including the shipping as a special offer. Having never tried Salewa on for fit, I was wary of the online buying, but it worked out perfectly for me. They have a kind of soft memory foam inside which gives a fantastic fit.
The Alpine approach is very similar, but has a slightly different sole unit- the rapace has a heel clip for crampon attachment, although i doubt they're stiff enough for a c2 crampon. I've used mine for everything except full on winter climbing and i've yet to find a fault with them. The only slight gripe is that they do slip on wed mud surfaces, but then so does everything short of a tractor.
If they are indicative of the quality of current Salewa products, I'll definitely be investing in more!
 crustypunkuk 18 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:
> (In reply to Taurig)
Failing that, there are also the Mescalitos replacement the Pro Ascent.

I have a pair of pro ascents also, and i wouldn't use then for anything other than dry approaches and dry scrambles. They are lethal on wet grass, but awesome in the dry. They are definitely not supportive or cushioned enough for long days in the hills i'd say.

gavin82 18 Mar 2013
In reply to Taurig: If trango's fit you, then I can't recommend them enough. I went with the alps and they have been excellent. Loads of support to the foot and ankle, and give loads of confidence with grip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...