UKC

45litre backpack help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Would a 45 litre backpack be good enough for a sport /trad climbing day out?
In reply to Northernladlovesgravy:

Should be; I've managed with one for trad climbing both at gritstone edges and in the hills. If you haven't yet bought one and remain uncertain then get the shop to fill it with things of equivalent bulk and weight to see both whether you think it can carry the volume and - importantly - how the rucksack feels on you when it has a load in as different rucksacks suit different people's body shapes to a better or worse degree.

You might need to strap the rope under the rucksack lid if you're carrying a lot of stuff and if you're still uncertain then go for a 45+10 sack; that should do you for a whole lot of things including winter climbing and some lightweight backpacking if you've a mind to.

T.
 bouldery bits 17 May 2017

PBaB is bang on with his advice.
 slab_happy 17 May 2017

Works for me, for trad days out (with the rope usually strapped on top).
 Tom Shields 17 May 2017

I've got a DMM Vector trad sack, Works amazingly and can fit an 80m rope with a full sport rack, food, shoes and jacket.
 Blue Straggler 17 May 2017

Yes. Even if you are carrying rack and rope(s) and your partner is carrying only helmet, shoes and harness.

I used a 15 litre pack (with rope and helmet outside! And a third of a rack inside) on a 9 pitch trad route, with partner carrying the rest of the rack.

Just get the 45l or the 45+10. If something doesn't fit, then strap it on the outside.

Having said all that, there is something to be said for having an oversized pack so you can just chuck stuff in at the end of the day (or the start of the day with a hangover) without having to be neat and organised. Steve McClure subscribes to this, and I sometimes do too (I have an insane number of rucksacks of varying sizes and often favour an ancient clumpy 70l Karrimor thing I got for a fiver in a charity shop, over my snazzy Lowe Alpine Crag Attack 45+10)
 olddirtydoggy 17 May 2017

Bear in mind theres 2 of you carrying kit. We use 2 40l packs on big days out with the walk ins.
 J Whittaker 18 May 2017

45L easily enough. I take a 32L for summer trad and everything including food, belay jacket, guide book and a full rack fits as long as I pack it well. Rope fits snugly under the lid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...