UKC

4 Season Tent 2-3kg 10000mm Groundsheet - Recommendation?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
T45 06 Oct 2013
Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations of the best up to date 2013 spec for a 4 Season Tent at around 2-3kg with a 10000 mm Groundsheet to defeat snow, ice and permafrost.

2 man would be ideal, considering the artic conditions of needing to buddy a team mate in case of emergency, but fly weight 1 man with support of 2 men tents would be considered.

I've spent numerous hours over the years searching for highly mobile tents of this variety, and have just spent another 8 hours looking again with no further advance on committing spend of a couple of hundred-thousand quid so all opinions would be very much welcome.
needvert 06 Oct 2013
In reply to T45:

Might want to check out this lots thoughts:
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/4-Season-Tent-Reviews

I have a jannu, great tent but haven't used it anywhere adverse yet.
ice.solo 06 Oct 2013
In reply to T45:

at 2-3kg, have a look at ortiks offerings. can be stripped for weight or extra poles added for strength. some models can be linked together with connectors.
 Siward 06 Oct 2013
In reply to T45: macpac Olympus perhaps (3.25kg) or the minaret at 2.55kg? Renowned for tough ground sheets.
 martinph78 06 Oct 2013
In reply to T45: Have you considered using a tent footprint/tarp under the groundsheet? Might give you a wider choice of tents that way, rather than getting hung-up on groundsheet specs.

My ultra quasar has a 7000mm groundsheet and hasn't let a drop of water in despite the heaviest rains and regular flooding of the camp.

Another tip is to put your foam roll mat under the tent on snow/ice, although I have yet to try this.

Just a few ideas that may take your fancy.
 TobyA 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Martin1978:

> Another tip is to put your foam roll mat under the tent on snow/ice, although I have yet to try this.

Trying to think why this would be good?
 spearing05 06 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA: Presumably makes little difference to the insulation provided but adds physical protection to the groundsheet helping protect it from puncture by ice say?
 martinph78 06 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Martin1978)
>
> [...]
>
> Trying to think why this would be good?

Because you're adding a waterproof (and insulated) layer between the snow and the groundsheet, thereby reducing any chance of moisture coming up through the groundsheet?

benny_m 06 Oct 2013
In reply to T45:

Alpkit Kangri?

Just bought on of these for £300 cheap compared with some much higher priced tents, can't comment on the all round performance but it was quick to pitch with 2 people, purchased with the foot print as well, both ground sheet and foot print are rated at 10,000mm, camped in llanberis pass and it was blowing a hoolie and the tent barely moved, its huge as well front porch and rear porch area can be used to store a large amount of stuff, very impressed and wont hesitate to use in harsher climates, one negative it comes with 20 pegs and with the foot print nearer 30 would be useful
In reply to T45:

The Kangri, though slightly heavier than you want at 3.5kg, is pretty awesome for it's price. It's stable enough using just 12 of the potential 24 peg points and the guy lines, it would have to be seriously going for it for you to have to use all of them. Porch size is great, you'll fit a good size expedition pack in there, easily >85L. I wrote a few words about it at the following link:

http://ruinapartum.wordpress.com/2013/10/06/gear-pt-ii-thoughts-on-my-hardw...
 ballsac 06 Oct 2013
In reply to T45:

i'm seconding the Alpkit Kangri.

i owned a TN Quasar for 12 years, and i've used the Ortik - and i'll say straight off that the Kangri is simply magnificent.

i've used it in the UK, from a beach on the western isles blowing a mighty gale, to the cairngorm plataeun in yet another gale, to the Alps, and in the Falklands.

it turns out i holiday in really windy places...

can't fault its stability, 'line-in-ability', materials or manufacture - though i didn't bother with the footprint, i just bought some material and made my own for about 10% of the price...

Jon Wickham 06 Oct 2013
In reply to T45: I would also consider the Crux X2 Storm http://www.crux.uk.com/en/tents.php?range=15&product=8
 Jon Wickham 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Jon Wickham: and some of the Lightwave tents http://www.lightwave.uk.com/products/tents/lightwave-tents
 TobyA 06 Oct 2013
In reply to Martin1978: A groundsheet that won't stop snow from leaking through is a really bad groundsheet!

You often get condensation between a mat and the floor of tent in cold conditions, I wouldn't want to sleep on the groundsheet for that reason even if you have a mat under it for insulation. Not sure where the condensation would form in that case but it might be still on top of the groundsheet, ie where your bag now is.
 DaveHall246 06 Oct 2013
In reply to T45:
A Hilleberg Nammatj 2 will fit your spec. We've got the GT (extended porch) version and the quality is great.
 martinph78 07 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA: I agree, and as I said, I haven't tried it. It was just a suggestion for the OP, and one that I think would work if your groundsheet was letting moisture through from beneath. Especially if you have two sleeping mats (which I might well do in extreme conditions). One under, one inside.

Regarding condensation on the groundsheet, I can see how this might well be reduced if you hat a mat under the groundsheet.

Anyway, the OP has plenty of ideas above now.
almost sane 07 Oct 2013
In reply to T45:
For a winter tent for one person under 3kg, I recommend the Vaude Power Odyssee.
It is oficially a 2 person tent, but two people in winter would find it VERY much a squeeze, even if they were small people. I only fit in when I sleep diagonally.

That said, it comes in between 2.5 and 2.8kg depending upon whether you use big winter pegs and include all the guys. It is very strong just with the two centre guys.

It is very strong in the wind, and most importantly I can set it up myself in atrocious conditions without any real faff and without any large risk of snapping a pole - external pole clips like the Jannu really help with this.

The fabric is really strong - silicon coated nylon of a similar strength to the Hillebergs.

Best of all is the price. You should be able to get a new one for £300 or less if you look around.
cb294 07 Oct 2013
In reply to T45:

The Jannu is great, but the slightly heavier Tarra is even stronger. Despite its crap name I also like the loos of the Vaude Power Odyssee but haven´t used one in winter conditions.

CB
 mark burley 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Martin1978: my suggestion to reduce groundsheet condensation would be to get some of that 1mm thick foam used as an underlay for laminate floors and cut it to the floodplain of the tent. Use it inside though, I agree with Toby on that one
 Alex Slipchuk 07 Oct 2013
In reply to ice.solo: I have the ortiek jetstream 2, utterly bombproof and well thought out. I especially like the fact that the floorplan is pretty much the same width as 2 karimats which avoids the warm island on a cold ocean scenario. Never used it lightweight setup as I like the reassurance of bombproof. It weighs the same as a full fat quaser. Definitely for 2 to carry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...