UKC

A Question of Taste, Mammut MT Trail XT GTX

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stopsy 13 Nov 2012
Hi all,
I am wondering for a little clarification or just sharing of opinions.

I've owned and used the boot (Mammut MT Trail XT GTX) for the past 4 years (almost to the day) and I've found it to be a fantastic boot for anything in the more serious walking and any winter walking categories that I've done.

I'm wondering how far down the Winter Mountaineering path I can push them. Walking carefully in them I'm currently using a C2 Climbing Tech Nuptse 12 point crampon which I feel is towards their upper limit. Does anyone else use similar or the same boots up to a similar level (Winter II) with a similar crampon set up.

One important thing to point out is the XT part of the typically long name. As far as I can discern from reviews this equates to a raising from B0 to B1 in most reviews. But to my uneducated eye the sole is stiff enough to warrant a C2.

I suppose you best bear in mind I'm of the opinion people 30 years ago climbing far harder than Winter II had about the same gear so hopefully I can bludgeon my way up chumming along happily.

Interested for your feedback, Stopsy.
 Mark Bull 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Stopsy:

I own a pair which I use for winter walking and scrambling up to about grade I with a pair of Grivel G12s. I think they would be OK on mixed grade II ground, but climbing ice would be much more enjoyable in stiffer boots with more ankle support.
OP Stopsy 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Mark Bull:
Cheers for the advice, glad to see I'm not the only person using something more than the Grivel Monte Rosa's as crampons for them. I'll see how I do on the grade I and II and see from there!
Thanks Again,
Stopsy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...