UKC

Advice for new ropes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nakedave 05 Jun 2021

My ropes are embarrassingly old and I'm having some trouble making a decision on new ones. They would be primarily used on long multi pitch routes in northern Norway, with long approaches etc and for winter trips skiing/climbing. And quite often climbing as a three. 

What I'm stuck between is triple rated or half ropes, some super skinny and light half ropes sound appealing for the weight saving, but I don't have experience with super skinny and not sure how durable they would be, or how safe an 8mm line would be for a second on one strand, considering rough granite edges.

Ropes I'm considering include, mammut alpine sender 8.7, mammut alpine 8mm, edelrid swift protect. 

Any input appreciated, cheers! 

Mark Haward 05 Jun 2021
In reply to nakedave:

Would a triple rated rope and a half rope allow lots of flexibility for what you want to do? Personally, I find that skinny ropes have their place but are often more difficult to handle in cold / winter conditions and tend to wear far more quickly in an alpine environment.

John Kelly 05 Jun 2021
In reply to nakedave:

Mammut 8mms (dry 50m) are very versatile and light, I've also got couple 7.5mm, superb for walking in but need a degree of faith at crux

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...