UKC

Advice on some alpine trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MisterPiggy 14 Oct 2020

Hello, I'm gearing up for some alpine climbing, with a tiny budget. Trousers are difficult to source - the good stuff on eBay goes fast. So looking at new. Decathlon looked promising though their Simond trousers have mixed reviews.

I found these - does anyone have experience of them?

I'm looking for something stretchy, reasonably hard wearing, pretty windproof. I've got overtrousers for heavy rain. I'd be using them everywhere from the Alps to hillwalking, but not winter Alpine; Scottish winter would be on my list - though with thermals underneath.

Here's the link:

https://www.technique-extreme.com/art-pantalon-de-randonnee-espes-1641.htm

Thanks for any/all inputs, j

Doug 14 Oct 2020
In reply to MisterPiggy:

I don't know anyone who has been dissapointed with Simond trousers, other than finding a pair which fit. If they fit you they should be good.

Your profile says you are in France, if so you might be able to find a few brands rarely seen in the UK such as Cimalp & Trangoworld. My current summer trousers are from Trangoworld, bought in a sale a couple of years ago & they seem fine so far, while my winter trousers are a Polish brand (Milo) which I found while browsing the sale rack in a shop in Andorra. I'd never heard of the company but a Slovak friend tells me they are well known in the Tatra. If you not in a hurry, keep looking at the sales, you never know what you'll find.

LG-Mark 14 Oct 2020
In reply to MisterPiggy:

I'll second Simond stuff, most of it these days is truly excellent and incomparable value for money. I can afford more expensive gear but to be honest Simond is my first port-of-call - if it fits I'd usually buy it over anything else (so would most Chamonix guides!!).

My son has some Izas trousers, from Technique Extreme and he's had a couple of jackets too - all good value for the money, similar to Simond really. He's grown out of it before its had any chance to wear out but no issues at all with durability.

Post edited at 08:14
 Mark Haward 14 Oct 2020
In reply to MisterPiggy:

I have always found Technique Extreme kit to be basic and good value, it does the job well. I only know their shop in Chamonix but there may be other branches. I have a pair of Decathlon / Simond trousers which I use for higher / mixed routes alpine summer ( and sometimes skiing too ) and they are great - really long lasting. 

Obviously there are a lot of variables such as the routes you are likely to do, whether you tend to run more hot or cold, what the conditions / weather are like, what other kit you have etc. For lower routes ( up to about 3,500 metres ) and routes where I can move fairly quickly I tend to use lightweight trousers such as Montane. If it is a very cold / windy and early start I sometimes put waterproof over trousers on ( full length zip so quick to get  off and no problems with wearing harness or getting over crampons ) but this is rare. However, for a lot of routes I find the Montane perfectly fine. On higher, more committing routes or where the ground is more technical / in the shade / mixed then I usually use the Simonds. 

If I had to get just one pair of trousers and if the fit was right then I would have no hesitation recommending the Simond trousers. They do a lighter weight and a heavier weight version ( £39.99 or £49.99 ).

TobyA 14 Oct 2020
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Just get some Decathlon ones - I still use these  https://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.com/2013/03/simond-alpinism-pants-review... a lot in winter - winter climbing in the UK if I'm not wearing hardshells and they've done plenty of ski touring in northern Norway too and were my main ice climbing trousers for a number of years while I still lived in Finland. I have significantly older and slightly lighter Decathlon softshells that remain my favourite all round mountain trousers. The old ones were bought on sale maybe 15 years ago for less than 20 quid IIRC. They are better designed and work better than Patagonia, Marmot, Montane and Haglofs alternatives I have.

In reply to MisterPiggy:

I used to have a pair of £230 Mammut soft shell trousers.  They worked well, were comfy ,efficient and lasted years.  When they eventually wore out I bought some £39 Decathlon soft shell trousers.  They work well, are comfy, efficient and so far are holding up well.

Al

nniff 14 Oct 2020
In reply to MisterPiggy:

You get all sorts reviewing Decathlon - it's a bit like Trip Advisor in that regard.  It's outstanding value for money, and if it fits you're sorted.  

OP MisterPiggy 14 Oct 2020
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Thank you all !

Decathlon / Simond were my first choice, then I read all the reviews... I should've trusted my gut. I'm off to my local branch on Saturday.

UKC is a great resource - long may it continue.

julian 😀

Doghouse 14 Oct 2020
In reply to MisterPiggy:

I'll add my voice to Simond, excellent kit at amazing value.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...