UKC

aider safety

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pff 03 Jul 2013
I saw a metolius adjustable aider sling today and wondered what are the pros / cons of using one for personal safety running group abseils instead of using a standard sling.
 Fredt 03 Jul 2013
In reply to pff:

Body weight only. No shock loading, which in a group situation faff, you cannot guarantee avoiding.
needvert 04 Jul 2013
In reply to pff:

I wouldn't be happy with that. A regular cows tail I'd be happy with (moreso than a sling).

Never used one myself but this may be worth investigation:
http://www.animatedknots.com/purcell/

Though if you do go down the daisy path, some guys hang their ledges with Yates adjustable to make it easy to adjust the height, specifically Yates since they apparently make the strongest ones.
In reply to pff:
The metolius adjustable aider sling is good for - aid climbing.
Their PAS is ok as a cows tail, however a normal sling is more versatile.
OP pff 04 Jul 2013
In reply to pff: why do you make a distinction between a cows tail and a sling. I thought a sling used with a screwgate IS a cows tail.
As for not shockloading the aider and not standing above it, does that not go for all slings
 steveej 04 Jul 2013
In reply to pff: it does but the adjustable would break at a much lower force would be my guess.
 David Coley 04 Jul 2013
In reply to pff:
I took a factor 2 onto a metrolius adjustable daisy last month. It was onto a skyhook at my feet. It held for a second then the hook bent open and down I went. The daisy seems fine. So although it is not recommended, they are reasonably strong. A cheap alternative for a daisy is 2m of 9mm rope.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...