UKC

Air bed alternatives?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 djwilse 16 Apr 2014
Looking for a super comfy alternative to a double airbed for car camping.
Any ideas? Anyone used some of the luxury self inflating mats such as the Alpkit Dozer or Thermarest base camp? What else is out there?
Cheers
DJW
 Jungle_153 16 Apr 2014
In reply to djwilse:

Have you looked at the Exped down mattress?
OP djwilse 16 Apr 2014
In reply to Gareth999:
Thanks-
Just had a quick look online- warmth seems to be a key feature of them, which is not really a key point for my proposed use. Are they comfy? The problem with an air bed is they always sag a bit and a bit too soft.
 CurlyStevo 16 Apr 2014
In reply to djwilse:
I didn't rate the alpkit offering. I bought the fattest single one they made about 8 years back not as comfy as an air bed and leaked. Currently I'm using a Kampa single air bed and you can tell the difference compared with a cheapy!

Double air beds used to come with separate sections to inflate which makes sense to me!

I used to use a bouldering mat and that was well comfy but it ruined the foam over a few years using it as an bed.
Post edited at 19:43
 Duncan Bourne 16 Apr 2014
In reply to djwilse:

I suffer from back pain so I used the thicker thermarest (or derivatives) which offer the right amount of support.
 The Potato 16 Apr 2014
In reply to djwilse:
perhaps I like harder surfaces but Im ok with two thick foam roll mats side by side with some duct tape to keep them together
Post edited at 20:08
 George Fisher 16 Apr 2014
In reply to djwilse:

I have an Exped Downmat 7 (not the thickest nor the biggest version) it's amazingly comfy. I think they do a version aimed at maximum comfort. I'd look at that.
 John Kelly 16 Apr 2014
In reply to djwilse:

exped - worth the cash - mine 9cm thick and wide, the insulation seems to make things much more comfortable
 timmeehhhh 16 Apr 2014
In reply to djwilse:

If you have the chance, try out one of these:

http://www.eurekaeurope.com/c/airmats_airrest-stretch
 Yanis Nayu 16 Apr 2014
In reply to djwilse:

I'd go for Thermarest basecamp. Much more comfortable than an airbed IMO.
 Kelcat 16 Apr 2014
In reply to djwilse:

If I understand your requirement as being you want to sleep in the car then why not get a mattress topper? Like a much thinner mattress & will roll up. Often used to make camper van beds much more comfortable.
 The Potato 16 Apr 2014
In reply to djwilse:

surprised nobodys suggested this yet
a fat lass..
OP djwilse 17 Apr 2014
In reply to djwilse:

Thanks for all the tips (with maybe the exception of Ow arm's!!).
Will have to see if I can try some out.
Cheers.
 wilkie14c 17 Apr 2014
In reply to ow arm:

> surprised nobodys suggested this yet

> a fat lass..

I've tried it and it wasn't that comfy to be honest plus she ate all my pringles during the night

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...