UKC

Alpkit Airo range, opinions please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 frqnt 08 Jan 2014
I'm considering buying the Alpkit Airo 120 but in lieu of TobyA's recent blog entry about one of his Alpkit mat's failing in a specific area, I wanted to see if anyone could add any similar caveats for the Airo range. Or have you had positive experiences with said mat?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
 tango_kid 08 Jan 2014
In reply to frqnt:

Bought mine in july since then have had over 40 uses (I go away alot). Absolutely fantastic bit of kit, and knowing Alpkit if it were to fail im sure they would sort it out asap.
 Mr E 08 Jan 2014
In reply to frqnt:
Not had a airo, but i've had the Alpkit muno (just air no foam etc), bought about 2 years ago which kept going down, sent back and got new one which kept going down, sent back again for another and yet again deflated whilst wild camping. now own a Z-Lite Sol which can't deflate.

I have allsorts of other stuff from Alpkit all of which are great.
Post edited at 20:24
 TobyA 08 Jan 2014
In reply to frqnt:

They told me they're changing all their mats - hence none for sale on the site currently.
OP frqnt 08 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:
Appears to be the case, now. I'm sure they were showing some availability yesterday when I initially looked!

Ah well, thanks for comments anyway.
 davy_boy 08 Jan 2014
In reply to frqnt:

had an airo 180 for about 3 years great bit of kit packs down small and only needs a few decent puffs to inflate.
 alooker 09 Jan 2014
In reply to davy_boy:

What if it's just me?
 PPP 09 Jan 2014
In reply to frqnt:
How much do they cost?

I managed to buy a Thermarest Prolite Small for 40 pounds from Cotswold few months ago. It is exactly the same size (including the thickness), but tougher (50D/75D vs 33D/33D) and lighter (320g vs 400g). R-values are 2.2 vs 2.5 (the latter is estimated).

They still have another model left, which is 91cm long: http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/therm-a-rest-prolite-x-small-mattress-with-s... . It weights 230g... If you aren't too long, it might be worth considering.

P.s. I just mean... If you are afraid of getting Alpkit mat broken/faulty, Thermarest can be an option. I haven't heard many negative reviews about these products.
Post edited at 14:03
OP frqnt 09 Jan 2014
In reply to PPP:
Cheers for pointing that out, I'm actually pretty short and Alpkit are no-longer making their most recent range so this option is perfect. The price is right, too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...