UKC

Alpkit Mountain Ghost - any good for Alps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joeramsay 17 May 2017
I'm doing my first season in Cham this summer, and I'm drowning in bivy options. I don't want to spend megabucks on fancy pants sleeping bags. Has anyone used the Alpkit Mountain Ghost 300 with a bivy bag for bivying it on the mountain, and how does it fare? I'm not looking at sleeping too high up, and I think I tend to sleep quite warm, but I don't want to, you know, freeze/die. Or are there any other recommendations/tips for bivying? Thanks all!
 betathief 18 May 2017
In reply to joeramsay:
Just my thoughts, but seems pretty big when compressed, and slightly heavy. If you are taking a summer down jacket/softshell you could go for a smaller/ligher but probably higher sleep limit bag, and just wear the jacket/other clothing in the bag? I have endured summer storms in the alps with a 4-5 deg sleep comfort bag (-1 limit i think), with bivi bag, shelter, foam roll mat and been perfectly happy.

You want to be minimalistic and light as much as possible, as hauling stuff up mountains can get uber tiring.

Also I don't have this sleeping bag, so only judging from what I've read on their page. although do have an old appkit sleeping bag and the quality is really good. Love appkit, nearly everything they produce does the job for the price!
Post edited at 11:37
 Timmd 18 May 2017
In reply to joeramsay:

Being the sort who plans and ponders, have you tried sleeping out in the winter in the UK in conditions similar to those you'll experience in Cham?
 wbo 18 May 2017
In reply to joeramsay: I think the UK winter is rather harsher than a bivi in the alps, especially as the nights will be rather short . For the mountains I've always used a pretty light down bag for the few hours, and slept with my clothes on

tehmarks 18 May 2017
In reply to joeramsay:

A good sleeping bag is an investment, it'll last for years. If you can scrape together some more pennies I'd recommend going for a decent lightweight down bag. If in a few years time you graduate onto more committing multi-day routes, you really don't want to be lugging 1kg of large sleeping bag up a route with you.

I recently bought a Nunatak quilt for alpine bivis, and whilst I've yet to use it for such, it has been nothing short of excellent in this country. Also relatively cheap, compared to other comparable options.

https://nunatakusa.com/arc-quilts-closed-footbox/96-20-arc-lite.html?adtoke...
 Timmd 18 May 2017
In reply to wbo:

I guess a deep Scottish winter is different to a warm spell during an Oxford one, I more had 'colder weather than now' in mind than anything.
 wbo 19 May 2017
In reply to Timmd: I've found the grimmest thing about Scottish winter camping , or Norwegian, is the lengh of the night. It is not much fun going to bed at 6 and shivering for 14 hours till it's light again, so for that I have a warm but bulky bag.
In contrast the 5 hour unplanned bivi I had a couple of weeks ago, bagless, was pretty pleasant. So , for me, summer Alps, 2 season down , to keep the bulk down

Timmd 19 May 2017
In reply to wbo:

Thanks, that's well worth knowing should my elbows recover enough for the Alps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...