UKC

Anyone used the Mountain Equiptment Centurion Jacket?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gcandlin 07 Jan 2014
Its a toss up between this and the Marmot Nabu. Seen lots of great reviews of the Marmot but not much info on the ME offering.

Going to try them on tomorrow and both a similar price just wondered if anyone has used one and has any feedback on it?

Cheers
Gc
OP gcandlin 08 Jan 2014
In reply to gcandlin:

bump
 BnB 08 Jan 2014
In reply to gcandlin:

I expect few will have seen the ME Centurion. I've never encountered it in any store and I'm a gear junkie. The Nabu has a resilient softshell type outer which contrasts to the hardshell type outer of most Neoshell products. I'd be interested to hear how the Centurion compares in terms of face fabric. I found the sizing on the Nabu was very "American" (big tum, short arms). No good for me at all. ME sizing tends to be more European. My ME Tupilak hardshell is a perfect fit. Enjoy your shopping trip.
OP gcandlin 08 Jan 2014
In reply to BnB:

Cheers I think your right, I have not seen it in many shops during my online browse, I wonder if ME have made a limited run to test the appetite for Neoshell products. The other option I have is the Marmot Spire which is a different beast altogether but looks like it would stand up to a lot of abuse.

TobyA 08 Jan 2014
In reply to gcandlin:

It will be very interesting to hear what you think. The one thing that struck me about the Centurion is that it is really rather good value and the Nabu is positively cheap in comparison to many other top end shells. I'm testing the Jöttnar Bergelmir currently which is also Neoshell, but it is much closer in price to the top end ME and Arcteryx goretex jackets.

I get the feeling that there must be a much greater range of types of Neoshell available at differing price points according to the face fabrics, but it might be also that firms that have long used other waterproof/breathables (predominantly Gore) are launching Neoshell at low-ish price points just to see if people will buy them. There perhaps aren't enough reviews and discussion out there yet to really let people get an idea that Neoshell is the most obvious competitor to Goretex Pro.
OP gcandlin 08 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I will let you know how I get on, I agree the Centurion does seem to be a lot of jacket for the money, especially when I can pick it up for £199. I was slightly concerned about some of the neoshell feedback on here but I think this seems to be isolated to a certain brands products and people need to keep in mind that Neoshell is a membrane not a face fabric.
 PPP 08 Jan 2014
In reply to gcandlin:

Hood design of Marmot Nabu does not look very appealing, but that's just my opinion.

However, the price of Marmot Nabu is so much lower.
OP gcandlin 08 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:

So I went to the shop and tried on the Mamumt Nabu, Mammut Spire and ME Centurion. Quickly ruled out the Spire as it was too heavy, but looks like a good jacket for people after something rugged, fit was good as well, a tad more roomy around the middle but not as to be an issue in any way.

The Nabu and Centrion both Neo shell, the Nabu had much more of a soft shell feel to it that the Centurion and was a little more stretchy. The Nabu was a good fit with no issues with roominess around the middle as I have heard mention (im 6ft 80kg/13st)hood was ok. However compared to the the Centurion is was a non contender, the ME jacket has to be the most comfortable shell jacket I have ever tried on and the hood is just phenomenally well designed. The fit was absolutely faultless for my frame. The fabric felt more hardshell like than the Nabu but still had some stretch (probably useful when tucked in a harness)and non of the traditional hardshell rustle.

In terms of the perceived durability (ie what you can tell form touching it in the shop) it didn't have the feel of a heavy weight mountain jacket but then its not a heavy wight mountain jacket, I think for people doing a mix of activities ie a few Scotland winter trips a year, maybe mtb, hiking etc etc the durability would be just fine. For those crawling up granite chimneys weekend after weekend then this would not be the jacket for you. I would say it felt more durable than many of the Goretex Active shell jackets I have seen to give a comparison. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating!

Anyway I bought it so we shall see how it fairs.

Hope these notes may be of use to others looking for jackets at the moment.
 TobyA 08 Jan 2014
In reply to gcandlin:

> I think for people doing a mix of activities ie a few Scotland winter trips a year, maybe mtb, hiking etc etc the durability would be just fine.

Well, ME say its for fast moving alpinists on the most futuristic of terrain. Is that not you then?

Have fun with it - it will be interesting to hear some feed back on it, particularly as its 150 quid less than the Jöttnar one (although the Bergelmir does have a tough-as-old-boots feel to its face fabric). ME do make good hoods it seems!
OP gcandlin 08 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Not even sure I am a moving alpinist never mind fast
 BnB 08 Jan 2014
In reply to gcandlin:

Conrats on the purchase. I really like the fit of ME gear. I bought the Tupilak because I do intend to be thrutching up some savage slit or other in the very near future but the Centurion would probably do everything else better.

Maybe a review after your winter ends?

BTW the Spire in its incarnation of 5 years ago is the most rugged and durable piece of gear I have ever owned. I only replaced it this year because of a radical body size change. I'll still be taking it snowboarding where bagginess rules!!
OP gcandlin 08 Jan 2014
In reply to BnB:

Cheers, Yeah I think I will post up a few notes in 6 months or so, to give prospective purchasers and idea of what its like (from my limited perspective of course)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...