UKC

Anyone using a Petzl Sirocco

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 30 Aug 2013
My Helmet needs replacing and other than the wally colour this looks good http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/mountaineering-and-climbing-helmets/sirocco
 BnB 30 Aug 2013
In reply to sjc: I tried one. Weight and performance of the thing is good but you look like your heading to a fancy dress party masquerading as a tangerine. I bought the BD Vapour. Expensive but incredibly comfortable and you don't look like a piece of fruit.
 HeMa 30 Aug 2013
In reply to sjc:

I have one... It's really good, you hardly notice yer wearing it.

But you do look like you're riding the short bus with it...
J1234 30 Aug 2013
In reply to sjc:
Cheers for the replies, I wonder what went on at the product development meeting where they actually thought that the colour was a good idea, must have been some rejects from The Apprentice there, your fired.
 GridNorth 30 Aug 2013
In reply to sjc: The colour is something to do with what it's made from which apparently can't be dyed. I heard something about car bumper material but that comes in all colours and is certainly not bright orange so I'm a little confused. Very comfy though. Probably the comfiest helmet I've ever tried. With a bit of luck it might encourage other manufacturers to try and better it fashion wise. I'm seriously considering getting one.
 KellyKettle 30 Aug 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
> (In reply to sjc) The colour is something to do with what it's made from which apparently can't be dyed. I heard something about car bumper material but that comes in all colours and is certainly not bright orange so I'm a little confused. Very comfy though. Probably the comfiest helmet I've ever tried. With a bit of luck it might encourage other manufacturers to try and better it fashion wise. I'm seriously considering getting one.

It's made of Expanded Poly(Propene) aka. EPP, this is the same thing that's used in a number of high-end Ski and Paddling helmets, mainly because it's multi-impact. It's only easily coloured when it's initially being manufactured, but is definately available in other colours... I'm assuming that it wasn't cost effective to purchase lots of smaller quantities of differently coloured plastic (and correct for the slight changes in melting temp and expansion/contraction that the different pigment additives cause during manufacturing) and orange appealed to the person in charge of such things.

I don't mind the whole tangerine thing, it's nice and visible!
 ChrisBrooke 30 Aug 2013
In reply to sjc: I like the idea, but I think matching the strap to the lid was a fashion mistake While the lid might have to be orange, presumably they could have done the strap in any colour. Black/white/grey etc might have made the overall effect a bit less striking.
 Tom Last 30 Aug 2013
In reply to sjc:

There's was an irate Frenchman behind us on a route a couple of weeks ago. He had a fancy patterned one which looked a lot better - didn't stop him from being a knobber though.
 Tom Last 30 Aug 2013
In reply to sjc:

Incidentally, I got walloped by a big rock (bag of sugar size) on the head from 10+ metres whilst wearing my new style BD Half Dome and there wasn't a scratch on, or in it. Sounds unlikely, but true story - very impressed.
 Rick Graham 30 Aug 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

I use one because its way lighter than anything else. Figured if I got the lightest available I would have no excuse not to wear it.
You cannot see the colour when you wear it, and as I DGAF about what else I wear as long as it does its job, so what.
Had it a few weeks now and no gripes apart from being a bit warm in hot weather on the forehead, I intend to modify the removable foam bits on the front to sort this out.

The magnetic buckle seems OTT, would rather it was a few grams lighter.
 cliff shasby 30 Aug 2013
In reply to sjc: its the only helmet thats ever fit me right,maybe thats because its available in 2 sizes..weighs nothing and is very comfy once youve got the straps adjusted for you and a plus point for me is being able to put the petzl visor on it for winter,not really bothered about the colour..the expensive black diamond one feels like it would break if you sat on it or crushed it in a pack.
 GridNorth 30 Aug 2013
In reply to Rick Graham: I climbed with Ted a week or so ago and I tried his on. I was impressed. Like he says so many people are buying them that soon everyone well look like a numty so it won't matter.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 30 Aug 2013
In reply to sjc: I've got one, really like it. The fact that it weighs f*ck all is ace. My only regret is that it doesn't come in purple.
 Shone 31 Aug 2013
In reply to remus: lol
 Lukem6 31 Aug 2013
In reply to sjc: just paint it
J1234 31 Aug 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
Hmm I was told of someone called Ted using one and was going to phone him, wonder if its the same one?
In reply to sjc:

Everyone laughs at me for wearing mine. They call me EasyClimber and tell me I've been Tangoed.

They're all just jealous.
 Panick 01 Sep 2013
In reply to sjc: awesome helmet, like everyone else says its light and comfy. Yeah its bright orange but so are other helmets? But cant help think they would have sold twice the amount in a less obtrusive colour.
Mine has a few little dints around the rim so you have to be a little careful.
Carney 01 Sep 2013
In reply to sjc: Yes its a bright colour but the comfort and weight (150 grams) trumps everything else. Also the magnetic clasp on the chin strap is a nice idea. I've even worn it for single pitch sport climbing if the bolts are a little spaced. The colour probably looks better against a sun tan or darker skin.
In reply to sjc:

The other thing is its capable of absorbing multiple impacts, without catastrophically deforming. Which would be very useful on long expeditions, or if you sit on it by mistake.
 keith sanders 01 Sep 2013
In reply to Rick Graham: I bet you look good with your blue ronhills and orange helmet good contrast for photo's. ask Ted
 Martin Wing 01 Sep 2013
In reply to BnB:
> (In reply to sjc) I tried one. Weight and performance of the thing is good but you look like your heading to a fancy dress party masquerading as a tangerine. I bought the BD Vapour. Expensive but incredibly comfortable and you don't look like a piece of fruit.

A nut ripped on my today, it hit my black diamond vapour and cracked it clean through, not exactly durable. I know it did its job but I wouldn't be buying another one!
 nufkin 01 Sep 2013
In reply to Martin Wing:

> it hit my black diamond vapour and cracked it clean through, not exactly durable

Probably a bit late for you now, and sjc, but unless I'm mistaken the Vapour isn't tested against the UIAA standard. Might give helmet buyers something else to consider when deciding
 Nathan Adam 01 Sep 2013
In reply to nufkin: I think that statement might be false, IIRC, gear can't be sold in the UK unless it passes such a test. Not those exact words but something along the lines ?
J1234 02 Sep 2013
In reply to Martin Wing:
I actually thought that the way helmets like the Vapour worked was that they are destroyed by the impact and that is how they absorb the forces, thats why I thought helmets such as the Elios and Roc are better for Multi pitch or Mountain routes sure, as they will take more than one impact, and this is why the Sirocco appeals in that it is very light and will take multi impact.

Course I`m not that bright so may have that all wrong
 TobyA 02 Sep 2013
In reply to sjc:

> I actually thought that the way helmets like the Vapour worked was that they are destroyed by the impact and that is how they absorb the forces, thats why I thought helmets such as the Elios and Roc are better for Multi pitch or Mountain routes sure, as they will take more than one impact,

It's not like you could just shrug off the the type of blow that would break a foam helmet if you were wearing a hybrid or cradle helmet and carry on climbing. Getting hit that hard on the head is a bad thing no matter what type of lid you have on!

I wrote this article http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=4905 last year and it goes into that discussion.
 Exile 02 Sep 2013
In reply to sjc:

I've got one and think it's great. Although it looks similar in shape to a Meteor III it is a little more bulky so once or twice I've hit my head on something when I wouldn't have in my old meteor - but that says more about my spacial awareness than the helmet!

It may be because I climb mostly in the North of England but I haven't seen any of these sex god / godesses at the crag that look irresistable in many helmets but repulsive in a Sirocc, (Rick Graham aside obviously!)

BnB 02 Sep 2013
In reply to Exile:
>
> It may be because I climb mostly in the North of England but I haven't seen any of these sex god / godesses at the crag that look irresistable in many helmets but repulsive in a Sirocc, (Rick Graham aside obviously!)

Are you impugning the charms of Yorkshire folk? Go easy, lad.
 Rick Graham 02 Sep 2013
In reply to BnB:
> (In reply to Exile)
> [...]
>
> Are you impugning the charms of Yorkshire folk? Go easy, lad.

15km off target, Co Durham if you please. Codhead or Monkeyhanger.
 nufkin 02 Sep 2013
In reply to Nath93:

> I think that statement might be false, IIRC, gear can't be sold in the UK unless it passes such a test. Not those exact words but something along the lines ?

I expect it passes the CE/EN test, or whichever it is for being sold in the EU, but my understanding is that the UIAA tests go a bit further.
I'd be happy to admit I'm wrong, though
 Nathan Adam 02 Sep 2013
In reply to nufkin: Likewise, i'm unsure as to what the full UIAA test's involve. Anyone else care to input information ?
 Aigen 04 Sep 2013
In reply to sjc: I have one and just used it for a week in Italy climbing. Its super light good venting, head torch attaches well and feels comfy. It sits a bit high. You really need to try it on your melon first as it did not grip my mates head well but fit my head well.
 cliff shasby 04 Sep 2013
In reply to Aigen: i think you really have to use all the strap adjustments to get the best fit with this helmet,mine didnt fit well to start with but now it takes a good tug to get it off my head now..
I wore mine for the first time last weekend, I was definitely aware of how much lighter (and to a degree cooler) it was compared to my Elios. I found it had got a bit uncomfortable on the back of my head towards the end of the day but I may just need some further tinkering with the straps. And it looks ridiculous which is great! =o)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...