UKC

Approach shoes for square shaped forefoot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sabostar 31 Mar 2022

Can anyone recommend a pair of (ideally flexible) approach shoes for someone with ducks flapper shaped feet? My heal is narrow and my forefoot is kind of square - unlike many people my toes have spread out a little bit with age and I find that the vast majority of mainstream shoes pinch my little toe.

I've seen lots of chat about boots and shoes for wide feet, but these very often have way too much volume in the toebox and still are too curved for my square flappers.

I've tried the usual suspects Scarpa, Sportiva, 5.10, Boreal, Lowa and Meindl. My current walking / all day every day shoe is the Lowa Innox which is nice and flexible around the toes, so not great for scrambling and the sole is not very grippy......

Any advice much appreciated!

Rick Graham 31 Mar 2022
In reply to sabostar:

Sounds like my foot shape.

I find most trainers and approach shoes more comfortable and stable if worn without the  insole.

99ster 31 Mar 2022
In reply to sabostar:

Look at Scarpa Crux - as they lace all the way to the toe it's very easy to relax the lacing & open up to accommodate wide feet...

https://www.scarpa.co.uk/approach-shoes/crux/

OP sabostar 31 Mar 2022
In reply to Rick Graham:

Thanks - don't your feet / heels get sore? Which approach shoes have you found work best in this mode?

OP sabostar 31 Mar 2022
In reply to 99ster:

Thanks - the challenge with these as with many approach shoes is that the rand is not very flexible, so you get a bit of give from the laces but often not enough.

Rick Graham 31 Mar 2022
In reply to sabostar:

> Thanks - don't your feet / heels get sore?

No. Less sweaty without insoles, more comfortable generally.

> Which approach shoes have you found work best in this mode?

Most if not all. I only use insoles in high mountain boots.

Post edited at 14:49
 rockwing 31 Mar 2022
In reply to sabostar:

I've got ducky feet and La Sportiva TX4s are a good fit for me.

TechnoJim 31 Mar 2022
In reply to sabostar:

I've got big old fins and the Crux work well for me.

OP sabostar 31 Mar 2022
In reply to TechnoJim:

How do you find them sizewise? Looks like I can only get an 8 or 9 in the UK and I'm normally an 8.5.....

OP sabostar 31 Mar 2022
In reply to 99ster:

How do you find them sizewise? Looks like I can only get an 8 or 9 in the UK and I'm normally an 8.5.....

TechnoJim 31 Mar 2022
In reply to sabostar:

I'm a size 12 foot and I have the Crux in a 12. It's not a super close fit, which is great for me as footwear often crushes my little toes. As mentioned above, the lacing system is great and allows you to tune it to your foot. 

They're nice to climb in although I'm strictly a low grade uber-punter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...