UKC

Arcteryx Alpha FL....any opinions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 29 Jul 2020

Any views? I can't decide between getting something like this or a bit heavier like Mountain Equipment Shivling. I have some Arcteryx trousers which are great and good quality but not really looked at the jackets.....

Any experience or opinions greatly received...

MattJ753 29 Jul 2020
In reply to abr1966:

very good...i got rid of a heavier ME jacket and replaced with this...happy with that decision.

afx22 29 Jul 2020
In reply to abr1966:

I love mine.  It’s super light and compact.  I like the hood too.  Breathabilty is the best for a Gore Tex shell that I’ve ever had.  

Bear in mind though that it only has the chest pocket, so not as good for popping round the shops.

tjdodd 29 Jul 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Really good.  Light, hard wearing, keeps you dry and breathes well.  Taken mine out in some really rough conditions and performed really well.

WillRawlinson 29 Jul 2020
In reply to abr1966:

I have the AR, but believe it is essentially the same design, bar the material. I find that as the area around the face doesn't cinch in, rain can quite easily get in down your front. The lack of pockets is also moderately annoying, though I guess the purpose of the FL may make this slightly less of a grievance compared to the AR.

TobyA 30 Jul 2020
In reply to abr1966:

If you are tempted by something a bit heavier why not the Alpha AR? It's a superb jacket https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/clothing/waterproofs/bombproof_winter_mount...

In reply to abr1966:

It's very good as a jacket to put in your pack in case of very heavy rain when your primary jacket is a soft shell.  It packs up really small and light and the Goretex Pro keeps you really dry unlike the Goretex Paclite stuff.  The downside is it doesn't have nearly as many pockets as a 'proper' jacket, just one chest pocket.

gwared 30 Jul 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Didn’t really like it, boxy American cut and weirdly short at the front meant it would lift up all the time and leave fleece/base layers exposed. I’m 6ft and skinny though...

afx22 30 Jul 2020
In reply to gwared:

That’s a good point about the sizing.  I have a size small (I’m borderline small or medium in most clothing) and it seems to be designed to allow for layers underneath.  

If I wear it over just a thin base layer, then it’s pretty roomy.  It’s perfect for me in winter when layered over a base layer and insulation layer.

OP abr1966 30 Jul 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Its a great looking Jacket but the cost!!

galpinos 03 Aug 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Meh.

• Fit is odd. I have a large which is too big and boxy, couldn't get my shoulders (they aren't big!) in the medium.
  • It is cut short, especially at the front. I am 6ft wearing a size large.
  • Mine has delaminated on the arm after 18 months of light use and wets out on shoulders so no more hard wearing than any other jacket (not as hard wearing as the ME active shell jacket it replaced)
  • Hood not as good as my ME jacket.

I'll go back to ME for it's replacement, probably the Tupilak Atmo.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...