UKC

Arc'teryx Proton LT Vs Patagonia Nano Air Hoody

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Harry Cook 29 Jul 2018

Which is the better of the two? 

Ski touring, cold downhill days and the occasional cold crag/mountain day if I don't want to carry my big winter synthetic up. 

Cheers 

jonnie3430 29 Jul 2018
In reply to Harry Cook:

Add the rab xenon to your list, it's great as a light belay jacket. Don't know the patagucci, but the arcteryx seems more like a mid layer to me as the stretchy bits under the arms aren't windproof and its cut neat.

wbo 29 Jul 2018
In reply to Harry Cook: whichever fits you best and is your preferred colour. Personally I'd buy the Patagonia one as I prefer the company ethic.

Fwiw I already have one

OP Harry Cook 29 Jul 2018
In reply to jonnie3430:

Awesome thanks, have you ever used the Xenon in an alpine environment?

In reply to wbo:

Not to fused about colour more about how well they perform. Also considering the Atom LT but apparently it's not particularly breathable 

jonnie3430 29 Jul 2018
In reply to Harry Cook:

Aye, it's really good, shell needs to come to, and in alpine heat you won't be wearing either. Toured with it, summer alpined with it and used it in Scottish winter on easy days.

2nd wbo comment about which fits you best too.

GarethSL 29 Jul 2018
In reply to Harry Cook:

Used the Proton LT and AR during winter. Much prefer the AR as it's a little warmer as a standalone piece. They're surprisingly breathable despite having a thickish face fabric and don't hold sweat under a shell as much as the Atom LT or AR jackets do. I found them to have a nice fit with good length arms and a much nicer cuff than the Atom LT, but they seem slightly shorter at the hem and without a deep/ drop back which is a bit of a pain.

Anyone used the Atom LT, how much worse is the breathability?

Post edited at 20:26
TheAtrociousSnowman 29 Jul 2018
In reply to Harry Cook:

Beware the new fabric used in the Nano Air, which was changed, along with the fit and some details, in the last year or so. The new fabric is less durable, even though the exact opposite is claimed by Patagonia in its marketing, and it will 'pill' like crazy under a rucksack. Patagonia have called such pilling a 'fault' and refunded one of ours (the earlier model is a bit more durable). Check out the 2-star reviews on the US site , men's and women's, before the 'new colours' disappear them.

The Arcteryx Proton LT exterior fabric seemed much more durable than the Nano Air when I tried it on, though the fit, as mentioned, is different again to the Atom LT (longer sleeves, tighter torso on the Proton?). I have worn the Atom LT under a rucksack without overheating/sweating but only when it is near freezing; anything warmer and I would wear a medium-weight fleece, which is also more breathable of course.

Post edited at 22:51
 nathan79 29 Jul 2018
In reply to TheAtrociousSnowman:

Good to know I'm not the only one who's found the durability of the Nano Air disappointing. Though I'm not even sure if mine would fall into the timeline for the facelift.

tehmarks 30 Jul 2018
In reply to TheAtrociousSnowman:

> Beware the new fabric used in the Nano Air, which was changed, along with the fit and some details, in the last year or so.

That's disappointing. My Nano Air from 2016 has survived quite well (and yes, before anyone asks, I do wear it outside of the house). In fairness it's nearly always under a lightweight softshell though, so maybe that's contributed to it wearing well.

wbo 30 Jul 2018
In reply to Harry Cook:I got a nano-air a few years ago, and i think it's one of the earliest ones.  It's held up very well, way better than my atom LT.  A couple of hundred hill days I'd guess

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...