UKC

Aspen 4t as cheaper Coleman Fuel alternative

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dreamchaser 25 Apr 2010
I have heard about a fuel called Aspen 4t that is a cleaner and at about £13 for 5l a much cheaper alternative to coleman fuel. A little noseying about and I found that it goes great with my MSR Dragonfly, so I shall be getting hold of some of this for a try. It seems outdoor shops are not stocking it yet but this will just be a matter of time in my opinion, it costs , and is normally sold in 5l cans. A search for "aspen stockists" show's a list of UK stockists and there's one 3 miles from me, excellent. Has anyone else used Aspen 4t? If so, what's the crack? and do you need to use the "petrol" jet thingy (can't remember what it's called) or the paraffin one? I also wonder how it would perform at altitude.
In reply to Dreamchaser: I'm about half way through a 5l can with my primus omni fuel and it works great. I just use the same jet as for white fuel. Not tried it at altitude but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work fine.
 dazwan 25 Apr 2010
In reply to Dreamchaser: I've been using Aspen 4t for a while in my Optimus Nova and Svea123 Both go fine with it and there's no probs, I even use it in my coleman petrol lantern. It's touted by many outdoors types as being a cheaper and cleaner alternative to the coleman fuel so use whatever jet you would for that. As for altitude I only take mine hiking so haven't been higher than 3k.

You'll find that most stockists are lawnmower or farm equipment shops and for some reason I found they seem to sell out quickly so phone ahead to check. I live in West Yorks and had to phone 4 or 5 stockists before I found one with a few bottles in stock.
 Edvin m 25 Apr 2010
In reply to Dreamchaser: The Aspen petrol is a type of petrol called Alkylate, basicly it's just cheap "white gas", it's much cleaner and more efficient than normal petrol and I'd bet some money that you really won't notice any difference.

Only thing to keep in mind is that you must get the 4t version which is designed for four-stroke engines, the 2t contains about 2% of two-stroke oil.
OP Dreamchaser 26 Apr 2010
Phfftt!!! seems my local stockist of Aspen 4t is an elusive tree surgeon who is always working, hum. Will have to try find somewhere else to get this stuff.
OP Dreamchaser 23 May 2010
I managed to get hold of some of this stuff and it's excellent, I haven't had to change my jet and it burns with a bright blue hot flame, primes well, is easy to light, and best of all virtually no smell at all, I even use it indoors without stinking out the kitchen! If you use a liquid fuel "proper" stove I'd highly recommend trying out Aspen4t.
mike swann 23 May 2010
In reply to Dreamchaser: Looked at this a while ago. Sadly the only local stockist only keeps 2-stroke stuff. If you can get 4t, would you like to post the stockist?

Mike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...