UKC

ATC Pilot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tehmarks 27 Apr 2019

Tempted to get one for those times I end up climbing trad with belayers less experienced in lead belaying for a bit of extra reassurance. I already drop my grade and consider myself to be essentially soloing if I'm climbing with people fresh from the wall, but it'd be nice to know there's an additional safeguard against potential belayer stupidity. Has anyone on here tried one - any opinions?

I like it because it'd appear you can belay virtually exactly like with a regular belay device, with no handles, fancy tricks or similar to confuse anyone. It looks like it'll look familiar and feel familiar to uninitiated parties.

Alex Riley 27 Apr 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

I've used one a tiny bit, I really liked it, mostly for the reasons you mention. Simple, effective. 

riff156 27 Apr 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

Yep I've had one for 6 months plus, can't recommend it enough, simple to use and very effective, light and no moving parts  I did try a grigri but found it to faffy, it's also reasonably cheap, have introduced four other climbing friends to it who all subsequently went out and bought one , the only downside is you can have any colour as long as it's black, as Henry once said 🙄

donuthead8 27 Apr 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

Yep, I have a pilot too. Really like it for indoors or sport.

Marmolata 28 Apr 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

I use the Salewa Ergo which is virtually the same, and I like it. The Autolocking makes giving it out rope a bit more complicated it takes some training to not constantly shortrope the leader. If buying today I might chooses the Mammut Smart 2.0 instead. I have read good reports about it. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...