UKC

ATC Rope Diameters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alooker 14 Jan 2013
I'm stripping my rack down to be a bit lighter and found that I had an ATC from about 10 years ago that is much lighter than my guide plate.

I would've bought this when I started for belaying at the wall on 10.5mm+. Black diamond say that the ATC is good down to 7.7mm on their website - would that be the case with my ATC or have they changed the design for the skinny ropes nowadays?

I suspect that it'd be fine, but I want to know the limitations of it before I ditch the guide plate. And I don't have halves at home at the min to test for myself!

It looks like this, with a few more scratches:

http://www.theepicentre.co.uk/catalogue/black-diamond/products_pictures/atc...
In reply to alooker: For general belaying, the standard ATC works fine at least down to 8.1mm which is what I've used them for.

On brand new thin ropes they can feel a bit slick. Also they are not confidence inspiring on thin ropes on long free-hanging abseils. However, any problems are easily rectified by using two belay carabiners side by side. That adds around an extra 20% friction.
 CurlyStevo 14 Jan 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:
do you think they lock off better for holding falls as opposed to abseiling then?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...