UKC

B1.5 boot reccomendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jrobertshaw 22 Oct 2018

Hi,

Looking for some b.15ish (light b2s) boots, and can't seem to find many on the market that fit this niche. So far I've come across the Scarpa Rebel Lite or La Sportiva Trango S Evo.

Is anyone able to reccomend anything else in this area? 

Cheers!

LG-Mark 22 Oct 2018
In reply to jrobertshaw:

Kayland Cross Mountain GTX?

My wife has a ladies pair. She loves them.

In reply to jrobertshaw:

What do you consider as 'light'?

wbo 23 Oct 2018
In reply to jrobertshaw:What for?  And what are your priorities - I have for example a pair of Salomon X-alps which I really like but you might not if you're into wandering around muddy hills.  Scarpa Ribelle?

Also, what foot size - large sizes are a lot bendier than small sizes, so that might change what works, doesn't work

Jellington 23 Oct 2018
In reply to jrobertshaw:

Have been looking for a boot in the same niche. Found the following shoes, but haven't been able to pick one: 

- Salewa Crox GTX

- Hanwag Makra Combi GTX 

- Scarpa Ribelle OD/ Ribelle Lite OD/ Tech OD 

- Scarpa Zodiac Tech GTX 

kaiser 23 Oct 2018
In reply to jrobertshaw:

La Sportiva Trango S Evo is a classic...  You'd need a reason NOT to get those imv.

Fat feet is a decent reason as they're for the slimmer / narrow fit

In reply to jrobertshaw:

If you can wait a while, we've a group review of just this sort of boot coming out in early 2019. In it are:

Hanwag Ferrata Combi GTX

Mammut Kento High GTX

AKU Tengu GTX 

La Sportiva Trango Tower GTX

Scarpa Ribelle Lite OD

Salewa MS Vultur EVO GTX

Dolomite Torq Tech GTX

Some might be closer to B1, others you might call B2. It's an imprecise science, boot classification, and I reckon B1.5 is as good a category as any

I can't yet recommend any of these particularly - from what I've seen so far they're all good. It's what fits that counts most of course.

ShortLock 23 Oct 2018
In reply to jrobertshaw:

I love my Salewa Rapace GTX. Called B1 by most sources, but have a heel welt. I'd say they're stiff enough to call B1.5.

nacnud 23 Oct 2018
In reply to jrobertshaw:

> Hi,

> Looking for some b.15ish (light b2s) boots, and can't seem to find many on the market that fit this niche. So far I've come across the Scarpa Rebel Lite or La Sportiva Trango S Evo.

> Is anyone able to reccomend anything else in this area? 

> Cheers!

GO TO A GOOD SHOP! Sorry, that was a bit shouty. The boots you want are the ones that fit your feet. How is the internet supposed to know what your feet are like? 

Also what do you want to use them for? Trails in the cotswolds, winter lakes, alpine PD, popping down the pub? 

Go to a good shop, somewhere with 40+ pairs of boots. (not the internet, or the high street, ok maybe Ambleside high street)

acrkirby 24 Oct 2018
In reply to jrobertshaw:

I bought some Hanwag Ferrata Combi's for the alps last year and fell in love with them. I've since used them in Scottish Winter and the high Atlas for up to Scot V,5 or D alpine routes but also found them comfortable for 10 mile, 4 summit epic walks in the lakes or long scrambles in snowdonia.

Perfect boots as far as im concerned at a very decent price.

OP jrobertshaw 29 Oct 2018
In reply to wbo:

Mostly scrambling and some winter use, but would also like to be able to hike a fair distance in them! A lot to ask from one pair of boots, I know...

In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Unfortunately I need them for this coming winter and all the way through 2019, so can't wait that long.

Some of those boots in the review are matching with ones I've found from my own research, so good to know I'm looking in the right area.

Thanks for your help!

In reply to nacnud:

Doing a fair amount of trying stuff on when I can find the time! It might just take a day trip into Covent Garden to really find what's right...

Mostly used for technical scrambling with some winter use too, but would also like to be able to hike a fair distance in them, unfortunately I can't affor a pair of boots for each use!

In reply to jrobertshaw:

> Unfortunately I need them for this coming winter and all the way through 2019, so can't wait that long.

Dan has given you a very useful list of boots you can go and research for yourself. As nacnud says, the perfect boot is the one that fits your feet.

Get out and try some boots on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...