UKC

B1 boots (Scarpa SLs) in Arctic winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 benp1 12 Apr 2017
Quick question to test my thinking

Have booked a family trip in Lapland for xmas which will involve lots of time outdoors. I'm buying kit for the kids and a couple of bits for my wife at the moment

I reckon I have enough kit to cover me for the cold temperatures already. However, I'm not 100% sure on footwear

I have a pair of Scarpa SL Activ boots, a size up which I can wear 1 pair or 2 pairs of socks with - I was originally planning to wear these for the trip on the basis that they're warm and comfy, plus B1 capable so must be warm enough for when it gets cold (my thinking that B2 boots are stiffer but not necessarily warmer)

However, I used them on the weekend to walk up Glyder Fawr and Fach in nice conditions (with 1 pair of socks in mostly sunny and warm conditions, only went cool due to the wind, I wore shorts for the whole trip) .

So now I'm wondering whether they will be warm enough in potentially very sub zero temperatures...?

My wife already has some Hi Tec St Moritz boots I figured she would be fine in, although she seems happy enough in them in our South East UK winter temperatures so maybe might not cut it there either? I thought I could buy some felt/fleece insoles just in case
 top cat 12 Apr 2017
In reply to benp1:

add yeti gaiters: that will fix things nicely.................
 payney1973 12 Apr 2017
In reply to benp1:
Sorels
 Brownie 12 Apr 2017
In reply to benp1:

heated insoles - mmm so toasty!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hot-Hands-Foot-Warmers-pairs/dp/B000YEZLD8/ref=sr_...

I use them birdwatching - are really good - don't take up much space in boots, last all day.
B
 Dark-Cloud 12 Apr 2017
In reply to payney1973:

Or poor mans Sorels, Olang.

https://www.snowcountry.eu/olang-x-cursion.html
In reply to benp1:

Does Santa wear Scarpa SL's, why don't you write to him.......
OP benp1 12 Apr 2017
In reply to benp1:

Are the SLs going to cope though? If you're walking with crampons on snow I was assuming they would be warm enough...?

Some foot warmers are a good shout
 wbo 12 Apr 2017
In reply to benp1: depends a bit on you and the weather. They're only a leather boot, and the crampons bit is irrelevant . If you're standing around all day and it's -20, -30, you'll likely get cold in them.

Re. The St Moritz - maybe, but the winter in SE England is not cold

In reply to benp1:

If you dont want to loos your crampons and your foothold in precarious situations, don't use Sorel boots, as they are way too soft and way too big to fit any crampons.
In reply to benp1:

Sorels all the way. The XT range is pretty nice if you can get hold of it.
 payney1973 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

Cant think why going to visit lapland at xmas would warrant crampons?
OP benp1 13 Apr 2017
Definitely not using any crampons. I'll just be doing outdoorsy activities and normal holiday stuff (in a cold location)

Toboganning, dog sledding, snowmobile, walking around etc

I'd really prefer not to buy new boots if I can (as I'm unlikely to need them post holiday) but I've not been anywhere that cold to be able to test anything
In reply to payney1973:

I was mislead by the op wanting B1 boots and thought C1 was implied. My bad.
 GarethSL 14 Apr 2017
In reply to benp1:

> I'll just be doing outdoorsy activities and normal holiday stuff (in a cold location)Toboganning, dog sledding, snowmobile, walking around etc.

Your boots will be fine. Often for those kinds of activities, especially the snowmobiling and dog sledding you will be provided with an oversize (think one-size-fits-nobody) suit and snow boots.

The only disadvantage would be, if as wbo says, you are standing around in -20 or 30 at night, Northern lights spotting or somesuch. Boot warmers are ideal, but if you do end up mooching about or postholing around a forest then gaiters would be an excellent and relatively cost effective addition to keep your boots dry and your feet warm.

As for your wife, her boots should be fine, boot warmers and felt insoles will also be useful too if she feels the cold easily. Additionally lots of chocolate and expect to relinquish your down jacket to her

As the old saying goes; if your feet are cold, put on a hat.

OP benp1 14 Apr 2017
In reply to GarethSL:

Thanks Gareth, that's really helpful

Felt insoles seem cheap so i'll definitely get some for the trip

I'm not sure if we will be given the overalls and boots for the rides as we are doing a self booked trip rather than an organised one. I suppose it depends on which company we do the snowmobile tours with, I need to investigate further on that

I've been buying ski suits for the kids in the basis that with base and mid layers, both of which can be doubled up, they'll be warm enough

I'll be sorting my wife out with some ski trousers too, she'll no doubt be borrowing some of my warm kit!
 SouthernSteve 14 Apr 2017
In reply to benp1:

I used SLs and 12 point crampons in the Alps when I was rather footsore and couldn't face putting on my Cumbres (which are definitely over the top by today's standards for summer Alps) and was not cold trudging around on the glacier and on easy snow routes. I am a cold person!
OP benp1 14 Apr 2017
In reply to SouthernSteve:

That is excellent to know, just the sort of info I was after, thanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...