UKC

B1/B2 Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andrew95 02 Dec 2021

I have been wearing Scarpa Mantas (pro?) for a few years now, other than the obvious achy feet after a long day that you get in B2 boots I have had no problems. 

After a recent trip to the lakes, other than realising I am incredibly unfit and finding sheep are really strange animals, I have had really bad rubbing of the top / outside edge my fourth toe on my right foot. My left is fine, but I have noticed that I can feel my toes a bit more when going down hill, so coming to the conclusion that my feet (foot?) has changed shape. 

I have had a look in the outdoor shops in Ambleside and Keswick while we were there but every single shop sells exactly the same thing.... Gore-Tex Jackets, Down Jackets, Scarpa boots and La Sportiva boots..... Its scary how alike each shop is! I didn't try any on as I am not in a position at the moment to buy any, but my understanding is both Scarpa and La Sportiva have narrow(er) toe boxes? 

So firstly does anybody have any recommendation of a B1/B2 boot with a wide toe box that is suitable for 2/3 season mountaineering - something I can wear most of the year, most of the time without destroying my feet more than they are already.  I have heard that Mammut has wider toe boxes?  I assume I wont be able to stretch the toe box of the Manta Pro? 

And secondly, does anybody know of any shops that sell boots other than Scarpa and La Sportiva, ideally as close to Birmingham / Midlands as possible.  

In reply to Andrew95:

Hi buddy,

I'd recommend giving Mammut or Salewa a whirl, Visit Outside in Hathersage as they have both and you can try them against your Scarpas to see if there is a huge difference!

I'll admit to having a personal interest in Salewa as my brother works for them but I have had nothing but good experiences with their footwear and I do have a wide forefoot!

https://www.outside.co.uk/walking-gear/walking-hiking-boots/mountain-walkin...

https://www.outside.co.uk/walking-gear/walking-hiking-boots/mountain-walkin...

OP Andrew95 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Ah brill thank you for that - not too far either. 

Both Mammut and Mendel (sp?) have been recommended to me - but trying to find them in a shop is another matter, I will pay them a visit after Christmas, thank you. 

Salewa is an interesting one, I don't think I have heard of them before. They certainly look a lot 'lighter' than more traditional B1/B2's

In reply to Andrew95:

> Salewa is an interesting one, I don't think I have heard of them before. They certainly look a lot 'lighter' than more traditional B1/B2's

They do some girthier options! I've always enjoyed a lighter B1/2 until I drag out the B3s!

Andypeak 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Andrew95:

Scarpa use various lasts, some wide and some narrow, don't write them off because of one boot. Having said that I've never found a pair that fit me. 

jethro kiernan 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Andrew95:

Scarpa zodiac tech, Scarpa do half continental sizes which has been a godsend for me, went from a 43 to a 43.5 when my foot shape changed.

tlouth7 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Andrew95:

I really like my Meindl boots, currently away for resole after ~10 years of moderate use. Cotswold appear to stock them, though I got mine from the highly recommendable Open Air in Cambridge who have a dedicated boots shop next to their main premises.

Jon Greengrass 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Andrew95:

There is no such thing as a B1/B2 boot made using a anatomically correct wide fit last.  Fashion has a lot to answer for.  I decided 15 years ago that as much as enjoyed winter mountaineering I'd rather not destroy my feet and sold all my gear.

My Vivobarefoot Tracker boots are fantastically comfy and warm for hillwalking in the snow, but are so wide, flexible and asymmetrically shaped, I had problems with even the rubber easy fit ice grippers sliding off, I might try Kahtoola Microspikes this year if the chains hold them on tighter?

Henry Mayor 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Andrew95:

I had some Scarpa boots that did the same (downhill rubbing on the toes). I recently mentioned it when getting some new B3's (Scarpa again) and the gentleman at Needle sports mentioned to get them half a size bigger, I added an insole to remove any volume that the bigger size created. So far so good, one mountain journey, lots of wearing them to work. No heel lift and/or rubbing. The toe box has plenty of volume and width. I went with the type that has a 'vertical front' toe protector, rather than a traditional walking boot that the toe drops off.

LastBoyScout 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Andrew95:

Before you shell out on a new pair of boots, have you considered changing the inner soles?

Maybe something like Superfeet with more arch support would help? Blacks seemed to do a modular thing where you could tune the support.

OP Andrew95 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Henry Mayor:

That's actually just crossed my mind after jethro kiernan's post and now yours. Its annoying as I cant remember what socks I had on when I last wore them, but this week I was using some much thicker socks and insoles which could have accounted for them being too tight on my one foot. 

OP Andrew95 02 Dec 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I have a suspicion that might be half the problem, I swapped out the original insoles for the green superfeet ones. which have reduced the volume - although having said that, the rubbing occurred before I swapped them.

Edit: I am wondering if those 'toe protectors' you use for blisters and weird foot things would give it a bit of padding and protection (my toe that is) 

Post edited at 16:27
 LastBoyScout 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Andrew95:

Try the thinner blue ones? Seems to be a load of options for them now, so try the website.

I've got the black ones, which are also thinner, but seem to be discontinued in that format and are now the carbon ones. No complaints with them.

oldie 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Andrew95:

My feet have definitely increased in size and become wider with age. I do find I get blisters on one second toe which I never used to. I've had problems with a bunion too, largely solved by an op. I've been happy with the widish North Face Verto S4K GORE-TEX B2 boots. They are lightweight and nimble but not particularly warm. I've found different thicknesses of sock on each foot help, and putting elastoplast tape (not padded) over susceptible skin before use. However just googled and found various shops but all "out of stock".

Kryank 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

I can vouch for the Salewa Rapace GTX, had them for a couple of years (also bought them from outside and the service was top notch), really comfy, great for scrambling, very precise and have knocked up some miles with them, only slight downside is that (as with most 3 season boots) I have to reproof mine every 2/3 months. 

I would definitely buy again and you can pick them up fairly cheap now 

Post edited at 19:29
 AllanMac 03 Dec 2021
In reply to Andrew95:

I had a similar problem with Mantas and have gone from size 47 to size 48 to try and alleviate the toe crunching. It is still a problem descending steep ground. Strangely, Scarpa SL Activ size 48 are fine.

I then tried Meindl boots, which shredded my heels after about 5 miles, so no good for me either.

Now I wear HanWag Tatras, which are without doubt the most comfortable boots I've ever worn, and are light in weight. I can walk all day without any problems. They do various width fittings, and even do a last that is kinder to bunions. Alpine Trek stock them online:

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/brands/hanwag/

Or CotswoldOutdoor (store in Birmingham):

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/c/outdoor-footwear/mens-outdoor-boots/mens-...

Duncan Beard 03 Dec 2021
In reply to Andrew95:

You might want to look at the fairly new Boreal Brenta. I am thinking of trying some Boreal Arwa as I need some wide but light B3s. My feet are size 10 in length with a wide forefoot with long toes. I usually go for La Sportiva size 46 or 46.5 (winter socks) which gives me plenty of toeroom at the expense of a boot slightly longer than it should be. Scarpa are no use to me at all, Manta & Charmoz both crushed my outer toes & lifted at the ankles. The Brentas are a light B2 & the toebox looks wide in pics.

Here's a lengthy review from some geezer in NZ (I think):

youtube.com/watch?v=Uwfy-NW4eA8&

Outside have them in stock in some sizes but not all currently:

https://www.outside.co.uk/brands/a-d/boreal/boreal-m-brenta-mountain-boot.h...

Or you may be better off going to Llanberis:

https://www.climbers-shop.com/footwear/mountain-boots/boreal-brenta-mountai...

Post edited at 13:19
 hpil 04 Dec 2021
In reply to Andrew95:

take a delve into the tech part of the Scarpa website and look at the details around the various types of last they use. The older mantas (blue leather) had a DL last which is narrow, the newer Manta Pro and Tech are built on the FT last which is much wider across the toe joints / ball of the foot. Avoid anything that talks about 'concentrating power for delicate climbing' - Ribelles are an example i think - this is another way of saying the toes are squished together (like they would be in a rock shoe). These are all tips i got from Si at Mountain Feet - sadly he's packing up his business, but a visit to him a couple of years ago revealed i had reasonably broad feet across the toes and i came away with a much better idea of which boots to look for. I got from him a pair of Scarpa Charmoz (blue / silver ones, on the FT last) and they have been great for B1/2 territory - i use them for autumn, winter and spring walking plus summer ML type stuff.

OP Andrew95 13 Dec 2021

Thanks everyone for the feed back.  I had full intention of going to Outside to try various things on in the new year. 

Yesterday I was offered a pair of Salewa Rapace GTX in my size only worn a handful of times (he bought the wrong size) for less than half the RRP.

I was 50:50 on it as I have been very keen get up to Outside and try things on.  But realistically looking at options and speaking to yourselves I will probably end up going for the Rapace anyway - so I have taken a punt.

We will see I guess! 

Gav Parker 13 Dec 2021
In reply to Andrew95:

Hi Ive had a couple of pairs of Scarpa Charmoz boots and they have been great for all round year use and Alpine summer stuff. They are lightweight and the fit seems very consistent between pairs.

They are great for walking, Scrambling and Mountaineering.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...