UKC

B3 boots with integrated gaiter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fire_munki 12 Mar 2013
After my debacle of buying ebay boots it's going to be full price brand new boots.
I am now of the opinion of getting a good full price pair that will last and do everything I need.

That being said I like warm feet, I had a pair of Asolo ASF Supersoft plastics (nice and warm before the sole parted company) and Glenmore Lodge loaned a old pair of Scarpa Vegas, which fitted much nicer than the newer Omegas since they were wider.

I'm currently looking at boots with the integrated gaiter since logic says they'd be warmer than without. Are they worth the extra money warmth and comfort wise of those boots without or conversely worth the extra over full on plastic double boots?

I've got not a great selection to try on down here in Plym, a local wall (the barn) can do a sale or return on La Sportiva boots but thats about it.
 Cameron94 12 Mar 2013
In reply to fire_munki: I use Scarpa phantom guides which I really like. I'm sure you know what makes a good boot so I'll not bother going into detail.
I've got a pair of the Scarpa Charmoz and had a pair of manta's which aren't as warm as the PG's but just as comfortable.

If you really want warm feet or climb in high or cold places it could be worth looking at the Phantom 6000 which is a double boot with built on gaiter.
 Ander 12 Mar 2013
In reply to fire_munki: http://coldthistle.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/scarpa-phantom-guide-vs-la-sporti...

http://coldthistle.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/feet-to-fire.html

He discusses boots extensively- there are many posts on the subject.

One thing to point out is that gaitered boots are not as hard wearing as your Nepal pros etc- expect a couple of seasons rather than a decades worth. This may or may not be important to you
Climber 1981 15 Mar 2013
As a general rule a double plastic boot will be warmer than a single layer leather or fabric boot (e.g. Nepal Extreme, Scarpa Mt Blanc).
Boots with leather uppers tend to be tougher and more durable/reliable than boots using fabric uppers but are not necessarily any warmer.
Boots with fabric uppers (e.g. Scarpa Freney) are lighter than leathers but the uppers may not be as tough or waterproof in the long term.
The warmth of a boot is mainly dictated by the thickness of insulation used in the upper. This varies quite considerably from make to make and model to model so do your research.
Almost all B2 category boots (e.g. Scarpa Charmoz) do not have any insulation built in. Most B3 category boots do have some sort of insulation and the popular materials are Gore-Tex Duratherm (available in two thickness's), Primaloft and Thinsulate.
A boot with an integrated gaiter will be slightly warmer than a boot without but only if the amount of underlying insulation is equivalent. There are a number of incredibly light boots on the market with integrated gaiters but with very little underlying insulation and these won't be very warm. Remember if a boot is light it is because the manufacturer has taken something out to make it light. Often the amount of insulation is sacrificed.
Integrated gaiters are nice but they can also suffer from damage from crampon holes and broken zips etc. It's much easier to replace a regular gaiter.
You may want to have a look at the new Boreal Kangri. This is a single layer boot which uses much thicker insulation than others I have seen and should prove quite warm. It could be a good option if you would rather stay away from a double boot. I believe the Barn do stock some Boreal so they may be able to help. If not try somewhere like Outside or Adventure Peaks.
 Morgan Woods 15 Mar 2013
In reply to fire_munki:

boots with an int gaiter eg baturas, phantoms are fine until they get completely soaking wet in which case they take much longer to dry out which was a problem in scotland, not so in the alps.
OP fire_munki 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Climber 1981:
Thanks I did read the blurb on the UKC page about them recently could be a good idea.

I'll be pairing with my G12s any boot known that really doesn't like them?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...