UKC

Backpack advice: Summiteer Togo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tigger 28 Apr 2021

Hi,

As much as I love my Mountain Equipment Ogre, the foam in the shoulder straps seems to have a habit of splitting (due to the design / stitching of the  load adjuster stras I think). I've already had the pack replaced once under warranty.

So I'll probably soon be in the market for a new pack before too long, and am wondering if anyone has experience with the 'Summiteer Equipment Togo 40l'? Looks really comfy but there's a lack of reviews and I'm wording what it's like to climb with?

Thanks
Michael

OP Tigger 07 May 2021
In reply to Tigger:

For anyone's future reference, the pack arrived today in the long backed version (I'm 6' 1").

First impressions.

Materials and build quality, both seem bomproof. The stitching is very well done and everything functions as it should.

Comfort, initially it felt a little rigid and didn't hug my back too well, though with a little force I managed to form the back panel to suit my shape, not an uncommon issue as I have quite an arched back. The shoulder straps are very wide compared to my previous packs, one concern is that they'll dig into the sides of my neck a little due to my narrow shoulders, though the width has meant that the weight is more evenly distributed and this means I can wear the straps in a wider position than normal.

The hip belt isn't a slim foam pad like I prefer and I'm looking at using some 40mm webbing and the old 'hip fins' from my ME Ogre 42 pack, though the stock one does fit well and still allowed access to gear loops.

I also experimented with replacing the rigid back panel with an stiff EVA foam sheet, this worked well and did allow the pack to sit closer to my back however meant putting slightly more weight on my shoulders.

Features, not many to be honest. This is a simple one compartment pack with internal and external lid pockets (just how I like them). The rope retention strap works well as do the compression straps, I've yet to see how ice tools fit, I don't expect there will be any issues, though they may prove a little fiddly as they are secured by passing the handles through the compression straps, time will tell.

The draw cord is 5mm DMM cord, the idea is that it can be used as a prussik in an emergency, to be honest its a little bulky and requires a rather big toggle to be used. I'll be swapping this out for something a little less robust I think.

It has a detatchable floating lid that tucks away nicely when not needed, the rope retention strap can then be used to seal up the bag and secure contents. It might have been nice to see a roll top used here, like on the Crux AK47 RT, though I imagine it would have added weight and cost to the product.

At 1.55kg the pack is by no means lightweight (long size) though with the repacement EVA panel and use of a webbing belt this comes down to 1.3kg with no real loss in comfort. It can also be stripped down to 920g.  

For reference the test load comprised of:

60m 8.5mm rope
Large rack
Quickdraws
Harness & Chalk bag 
Climbing shoes 
Helmet
Fleece & Jacket
2 liters water 
Packed lunch & Snacks
Guide book

This took the pack to capacity and nothing had to be carried externally.

In general it reminds me of my old Deuter Guide only more comfortable, more robust (if that's even possible) and more refined (read simplistic). I think I'll be keeping it for the foreseeable future, and expect to be able to give an update about wear and tear in 15 years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...