UKC

Backpack loops

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Johnson 18 Mar 2019

I need a couple of simple webbing loops to secure the upper ends of walking poles and/or a walking axe that are stashed in the axe loops on a rucksack. I know I can tuck the up-pointing ends them under the side compression straps but its a bit of a faff as the pack is quite short and the poles in particular are long. The pack has fittings on the back that such loops could be threaded through.

Google isn't helping me: probably because I don't know what these things are called. The nearest I've found are "Maxpedition TacTie Straps" which cost about £10 for three*, but that seems a bit expensive to me.

Any pointers?

(And yes, I could buy some webbing and buckles and sew some up, but life's too short for that. And I could rig something with accessory cord but that would probably come undone. I considered velcro but it can get iced-up.)

(* and appear to be particularly favoured by the kind of people who get all excited about military equipment)

Post edited at 12:57
 Marmolata 18 Mar 2019
In reply to Andy Johnson:

You can buy Velcro strips that have the hooks on one side and the loops on the other, than you can cut them into short strips, if you get what I mean, maybe that would help? Should be available in any sewing and fabric store.

richprideaux 18 Mar 2019
In reply to Andy Johnson:

It's probably going to be a DIY solution. For short packs I actually strap them under my arms, with the handle end near the sternum strap and the spike end in the wand pockets or somewhere on the lower side. I use that method for running packs etc.

Paracord, those springy toggles that are used for drawcords or micro carabiners are all useful for making something up. If you do it sensibly then it shouldn't come undone.

Another thought is that it's generally safer if trekking poles are strapped on with the points facing down - a pair of tungsten carbide tips will go through flesh easily, and I know of at least two incidents when someone fell and impaled bits of their face on the pack-secured poles of the person in front and below them.

And yes, Maxpedition people are odd. 

tehmarks 18 Mar 2019
In reply to richprideaux:

I've successfully used a utility strap and a tautline hitch on a bit of 5mm cord to adapt a 30L Alpha FL for carrying skis. Worked quite well, might be worth playing around with. I doubt you'll get much cheaper than half a metre of cord.

OP Andy Johnson 20 Mar 2019
In reply to the thread:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Double-sided velcro looks like a decent approach. If it doesn't work I'll try something else.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...