UKC

Belay glasses for glasses wearers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Max factor 07 Mar 2018

Is it best to wear belay glasses over your glasses, or has anyone experience of using the Clip-up (i.e. clip on prisms)?

http://www.exxpozed.com/power-n-play-cu-clip-sicherungsbrille.html

Their blurb suggests " in all other cases, even with existing eye- or sunglasses, it is still recommend to use the belay glasses by POWER'N PLAY." which is a surprising. I have found this a faff, and why sell a clip on design at all?

GridNorth 07 Mar 2018
In reply to Max factor:

I have the Y&Y Clip Up's and find them far more convenient that the ordinary belay glasses as I wear spectacles for my distance vision. Even if I didn't they are good on sunglasses as well.

Al

OP Max factor 07 Mar 2018
In reply to GridNorth:

Thanks, that makes sense. Would be good to hear from more users of the clip-on style ones. 

In reply to Max factor:

Since I wear specs and have never heard of belay glasses, could someone please tell me the what and why about them? 

Ta,

T.

GridNorth 07 Mar 2018
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Mainly used for sport climbing and indoors where the routes are very steep.  They comprise of a prism on a frame that allows you to watch the leader without raising your head.  Essentially you just look straight ahead. Great for preventing "belay neck".  They also tend to encourage the belayer to focus more intently on the leader, which was a by-product that I had not anticipated but is welcomed. Once upon a time you looked a prat but these days many people wear them.  i wouldn't be without mine although I don't wear them for trad.  The original ones were on a frame, just like spectacles, but made wearing them with spectacles a little awkward.  Now you can buy them as clip-ons, just like clip-on shades but more bulky as they are hinged so that they can be lifted out of the way when not looking up. I now wear these in preference.

Al

Post edited at 17:00
In reply to GridNorth:

Thank you. Not something that I'm likely to need then!

T.

AlanLittle 07 Mar 2018
In reply to Max factor:

I've used CU's and Y&Y's over glasses and never found it a problem.

GridNorth 07 Mar 2018
In reply to AlanLittle:

A friend of mine scratched his prescription lenses with the CU ones.  I've  never had a problem but I do find the click-ups more convenient.

Al

OP Max factor 07 Mar 2018
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Quite a few articles if you do a search.  

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/reviews/climbing_accessories/y+y_belay_glas...

one of those things I am working myself up to deciding I actually want, but every time I borrow them get a little more converted. Would be totally sold if I wasn't a glasses wearer - game changing. 

GridNorth 08 Mar 2018
In reply to Max factor:

You might want to take a look at these: http://www.yy-belayglasses.com/clip-up-yyvertical

Al

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...