UKC

Belay jacket deals

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 shaunmillar 10 Nov 2013
Hi all,

Does anyone know of any decent deals online for some reputable belay jackets?

Hourse of googling has turned up some slim pickings,

Cheers,
Shaun.
 wilkesley 11 Nov 2013
In reply to shaunmillar:

You are looking at the wrong time of year. Always buy your gear out of season. Best time for Belay Jackets is spring/summer when retailers are unloading their old stock.
In reply to wilkesley: Go Outdoors doing a decent Mammut
Synthetic Hooded Jkt for a Ton.
 cliff shasby 11 Nov 2013
In reply to shaunmillar: yes wrong time of year,but its suprising what you can find on fleabay though.
 martinph78 11 Nov 2013
In reply to shaunmillar: Have you tried the forum classifieds? There are plenty on there, or put a wanted advert up...
lnn 11 Nov 2013
In reply to shaunmillar:

Or how about this ME Fitzroy Jacket:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=564309&v=1#x7507952

OP shaunmillar 11 Nov 2013
In reply to shaunmillar:

Thanks for all the replies,mother only reason I was asking for online deals is that it's for my Christmas from my partner and she would rather get me something brand new.

Thanks all
 lithos 11 Nov 2013
In reply to shaunmillar:

decathlon do a bargain orange jkt, no idea what its called though.
50 quid ish
 Mark Eddy 11 Nov 2013
In reply to shaunmillar:Climbers shop in Ambleside have 15% off insulated jackets at the mo: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=568779
In reply to shaunmillar:

This one was pointed out in a recent thread of mine:

http://www.simond.com/en/prd/_137
 lithos 12 Nov 2013
In reply to captain paranoia:

yep that the decathlon one i was on about
 GrahamD 12 Nov 2013
In reply to shaunmillar:

What are you looking for in a belay jacket ? for cragging, any old synthetic fill from the market will work. If its for Scottish winter you'll want something lighter.
 sleavesley 15 Nov 2013
In reply to shaunmillar: outdoor shop have reduced a number of their down jackets, see if go outdoor stock any of them and they can then beat that price by 10%.
Take the rab neutrino endurance as an example.
E.g go outdoors price £225 but outdoorshop price 187.50. Go outdoor price match minus 10% =£168.75
This is just an example feel free to look at other configurations that you may want and see as an option.
They also have to be the same model, size and colour for price match and may add postage unless it is free.
 PN82 21 Nov 2013
In reply to shaunmillar:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/warm-mountaineering-jacket-id_8271763.html

This is the updated version of the Decathlon Belay jacket i have been wearing in Scottish winter for the past 2 years.

I cannot recommend this jacket highly enough, warm, excellent build quality and design. It has fleece lined hand warmer pockets, a large hood, chest pocket, 2 internal pockets for stashing gloves or water bottle. It is a copy of the Patagonia Das Parka belay at one fifth of the price. It is that good i have stopped wearing my £150 ME lightline down jacket. I bought one for my sister as they have a women's version and i paid £30 for it.

Don't be fooled by the low price, this is north face build quality at mountain warehouse prices. Decathlon isn't particularly well known in the uk but a lot of the guides in the alps wear their stuff. Sizing is good too, i wear this over the top of my Paramo or montane smocks at belays/rest stops and is fantastically warm.
 woollardjt 21 Nov 2013
In reply to PN82:

Tempted by that's simond jacket myself, what is the sizing like do you need to go a size larger or is it already sized to fit over other jacket?
 PN82 21 Nov 2013
In reply to woollardjt:

The sizing is similar to a ME Fitzroy or Patagonia Das Parka, if you try one of these on in a shop over a fleece and waterproof then whatever size fits best then you can be sure that the Simond belay jacket will be the same size as these. Just out of interest i wear a large in the Belay jacket, my waterproof jackets are large but my fleece/midlayers are Medium. I am 6ft and slim (alpine build!) and there is plenty of space in the belay without being excessively baggy.
 AlanLittle 21 Nov 2013
In reply to PN82:

That looks interesting, you may have just done me a big favour. I was on the verge of buying something less warm at 3x the price, e.g. the new Haglöfs belay jacket.

The things I was looking at have 100g filling, around 400g total weight, and I was thinking in terms of wearing them as a second warm layer over a lighter insulated jacket (Atom LT). A full-on standalone belay jacket might be overkill for that, and is considerably heavier. Otoh at the pice I can try it and don't have much to lose.

But sizing? Do they size, like the DAS, on the basis that an "L" belay jacket needs to be easy to throw over an "L" fleece and shell, or would it be wiser to go up to XL?
 woollardjt 21 Nov 2013
In reply to PN82:

Cheers for that, I'm a similar build, I find patagonia jackets fit me best in medium as I'm skinny with long arms. That simond jacket seems an exceptional deal.
 PN82 21 Nov 2013
In reply to AlanLittle:

Sizing is always a very personal thing i find. A XL on me would be way to big, i would say that the sizing takes in to account the fact it is to be layered on top of waterproofs on a 'normal' sized hill walker/mountaineer. However i am a slim build, if you are the same height as me but built like a brick shithouse then you may need a size above. I have a mountain equipment lightline down jacket in large and the cut/length/size is very similar to the Simond belay in large. As per my earlier post, if you try on the synthetic jackets i mention then the sizing is almost identical to the simond jacket as well. Best £50 i have spent on outdoor clothing for the comfort and protection it provides!
 GraMc 21 Nov 2013
In reply to PN82: Any idea what the insulation is in it? is it primaloft or something else?
 PN82 21 Nov 2013
In reply to Ginger McGrath:

Its Simonds own brand insulation, a copy of primaloft and in terms of warmth and durability for 2 years it has been exceptional. No problems with occasional washing machine cleaning, no fabric has become frayed or dislodged and when it has got wet inside after repeated putting on and taking off over wet waterproofs, then it has retained warmth. This jacket is a medium/heavy weight insulator. Not suitable for wearing whilst moving, more of a static jacket.
 GraMc 21 Nov 2013
In reply to PN82: sweet cheers for the info, Yeh I'm looking for new belay jacket too and this seems pretty good for the price!
 AlanLittle 24 Nov 2013
In reply to Ginger McGrath:

Mine arrived from Decathlon yesterday. First impressions: materials & build quality seem fine for the price. Cut is less baggy than a DAS. Cover material is some kind of thin light nylon but not pertex, doesn't feel like it would be super robust on rock, but then this isn't something one would normally be climbing in. Sewing quality better than my Alpkit Filo. Current version is sadly lacking the internal glove/bottle stash pockets that PN83 has on his older one.

Not sure about sizing. I'm six foot and 80kg. An L is fine over a light insulated jacket (Atom LT, Montane Prim or similar) but a little bit snug on the armpits over same plus shell. Am pondering whether to send the L back and try an XL.
 woollardjt 24 Nov 2013
In reply to AlanLittle:

Got mine yesterday also, similar findings but at £50 I doubt you will find better for something that will stay in my sac unless the temp really drops. I considered sending it back for an XL, as I said on another similar thread normally I go for patagonia medium and large in other manufacturers, I think an XL on me would be to big in the chest so I will stick with the L size I will be posting pics of the jacket on another thread or in my galley later
 woollardjt 24 Nov 2013
In reply to shaunmillar:

Ok I have added a few pics to my flickr stream showing the sizing difference, I'm about 6'1" and 70-75kg depending on how many biscuits I've had. But I'm skinny with long arms

Both patagonia jackets are medium

Blue winter softshell over fleece and base layer
Grey mixmaster jacket

Orange simond jacket size large
Orange simond over blue winter softshell fleece and base layer.

Here is the link to the pics. http://www.flickr.com/photos/99189686@N04/

Personally for the money I'm very happy with the simond jacket plus the £200 saved over the das Parker can go towards more climbing trips
 Dave 88 24 Nov 2013
In reply to shaunmillar:

For all these tall monkeys that have just bought the decathalon jacket, how are you finding arm length on the L?
 woollardjt 24 Nov 2013
In reply to Dave 88:

Have a look at the pics I posted in the link above I'm 6'1" and have long arms and I ordered a L, if you have a big chest you may want an XL.

I've found the arm length ok on a large
 Dave 88 24 Nov 2013
In reply to woollardjt:

Cheers for that mate. Outstanding moustache if I may be so bold!
 AlanLittle 24 Nov 2013
In reply to Dave 88:

I'm not especially tall but fairly long armed (6 foot, ape index +3") and the arm length is fine. Not as much of a gibbon cut as my Rab shell. but covers the back of my hand nicely.
 tim000 24 Nov 2013
In reply to shaunmillar:

dose anyone know if decathlon in warrington or stockport have these in stock?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...