UKC

Best crampons for La Sportiva Nepal Extreme Boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sam_craddock 27 Jul 2013
Looking for a set of crampons (C2 or C3) that work well with La Sportiva Nepal Extreme boots
 Lew13 27 Jul 2013
In reply to sam_craddock:

When I had Nepals I used G14's.

From what I can remember they were a very good fit.
 Nathan Adam 27 Jul 2013
In reply to sam_craddock: I use G12's on my Nepal Evo's and the fit is pretty good, good all-round crampon too.
In reply to sam_craddock: Black Diamond Cyborgs - Thread closed.
 ablackett 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Nath93:
> (In reply to sam_craddock) I use G12's on my Nepal Evo's and the fit is pretty good, good all-round crampon too.

What he said.
 TobyA 28 Jul 2013
In reply to sam_craddock: I suspect it will be quicker to ask what crampons don't fit them. I've never had much problem putting different crampons on mine, and have done lots of climbing wearing them and either Terminators for steep ice and technical stuff or G12s for more all round mountaineering and moderate ice.
 Pritchard 28 Jul 2013

I'd take them to a shop and try various pairs on them. I have a pair of G12's I used with Scarpa Manta's, but I found the front point protrusion was very poor on the Nepal's in comparison when I upgraded my boots, due to the pointier front of the Nepals which goes through the front binding further. On low grade stuff they were fine, but really suffered on steeper stuff. It does depend on your binding system and the boot size too. I'm a size 8 and my G12's have Newmatic bindings.

I got a pair of Petzl Lynx for them and they have been great, including highly customisable.

Craig.
 The Lemming 28 Jul 2013

I've had my Nepal's since 97 and from my experience the most important question to ask first, is what condition are the bails at the front of the boot?

Once you know this question then you can fine-tune your choice of crampons.

I only mention this as the condition of the bails on my boots had a significant effect on the fit of my crampons. I have two pairs of crampons, some CAMP 12 points with straps dating back to 1995 and some step-in Sabertooth's, with no front strap, going back to around 2000.

The ancient CAMP crampons fit perfect and are my fallback crampon when things go wrong.

About 7-8 years ago I was on a route on Anoch Mor, and nothing fancy, possibly up to Grade III if that. I was kitted out in my boots and Sabertooths. Back then the boots were quite old and the bails had worn down considerably and only stuck out only a couple of mills.

As my Sabertooths were step-ins and had no front strapping I discovered half way up the route that one of the crampons kept falling off. Not exactly a good thing to happen. After a lot of faffing and worrying about my predicament I bodged some 6mm cord around my crampon and boot so that I could finish the route and get off the hill.

Suffice to say I got my boots re-soled ASAP after that.

I don't know about the quality of crampons today but my advice would be, that if you choose step-ins then choose a pair with some sort of front strapping method just in case the crampons slip off your front bails.

Otherwise, I have never had a problem with any crampons fitting my 16 year old boots.
 Nathan Adam 28 Jul 2013
In reply to sam_craddock: Also, i use the G12 with the plastic bail at the front and not full step in like the above poster mentions. I think for the vast majority of situations, this semi-step in set up is ideal.

If you want to move on to harder stuff in the future but still want a general purpose (although heavy for out and out walking) then the G14's could be worth a look. Essentially a G12 with more aggressive front points which can be converted to mono for harder mixed, if need be.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...