UKC

Best fitting clothing brand?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
BenBarlow 08 Nov 2017
Hi,
I'm looking for a shell jacket (both male and female) and am keen to find out which brands offer the best fit across the board. Things like arm length, cut and back length etc.
Which brands do you guys swear by for the best fit?

Thanks!
 Andy Hardy 08 Nov 2017
In reply to BenBarlow:

I can't believe an actual adult human being would need to ask how to use a tape measure, then compare the numbers obtained with the ones on the numerous sizing charts on every retailers websites.
 GrahamD 08 Nov 2017
In reply to BenBarlow:

Personally I tend to try clothes on before buying. Cut and fit are, after all, very personal things.
BenBarlow 08 Nov 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

Agreed.
Just looking for some recommendations. Say a brand tends to run large, or have short arms, it would be good to know!
 tspoon1981 08 Nov 2017
In reply to BenBarlow:

> Agreed.

> Just looking for some recommendations. Say a brand tends to run large, or have short arms, it would be good to know!

But what if you're slender all over, with a larger than average waistline and a negative ape index, then the clothing you've described would be perfectly. You'd be better off either trying clothes on, or at least describing your body shape so people have a vague idea about the clothing fits that may suit/fit correctly.

Guismart 08 Nov 2017
In reply to tspoon1981:

I’m slim so prefer ‘athletic’ fit clothing. I always find Mammut, Montane and Rab fit really well.
BenBarlow 08 Nov 2017
In reply to Guismart:

3 recommendations - that is helpful. Thank you!
 atrendall 08 Nov 2017
In reply to BenBarlow:

Another big up for Montane which always seems to be spot on fit. Close fitting but medium always seems just right for tops, waterproofs and small for trousers.

Phil1919 08 Nov 2017
In reply to BenBarlow:

I 've always liked the fit of Craghoppers stuff.
 Mal Grey 08 Nov 2017
In reply to BenBarlow:
It is really hard unless you try stuff on.

However, for what its worth, I've found the newer Alpkit stuff to have an excellent fit in Medium for me (5'10", average arms/legs, 38" chest, 32" waist. Hilariously for friends, I have actually been used as a Medium Fit Model in a business to save them money on a real one, so I must be pretty average). The arms, in particular, are well cut and long enough to cover the wrist when doing activities. I have their base layers, lovely soft mid-layer fleece hoody thing, and the Katabatic synthetic jacket. I've considering the shell currently. I would say these are all a fairly snug, but very comfortable, fit which still works well when active.

Earlier Alpkit stuff was a bit boxier, but I had to go to Large to get the sleeves right. To be fair, I did also drop from a 34 to 32 waist in the last year or two. I have two older down jackets in L with this boxier shape, a Filo (doesn't matter much as worn over lots when blinkin' freezin') and a Filoment (too big for me, but never returned until used and dirty!)

My Rab lightweight waterproof jacket is a Large, the medium was too tight to go over things. Sleeves are a tiny bit long, which would be expected. Otherwise good neutral fit on me.

I also have lots of Decathlon things like trousers and wicking short sleeved tops. They always come up too small on me, whatever the type of garment.
Post edited at 17:44
In reply to Mal Grey:

> I also have lots of Decathlon things like trousers and wicking short sleeved tops. They always come up too small on me, whatever the type of garment.

Yup; always have to go up one size from what I take in other brands, when buying Decathlon. But their sizing is consistent, so I can always be pretty sure that if I buy an 'M', it will fit me well. But I have narrow shoulders, a puny upper body, and a short back... There's no point me buying Arc'teryx, as I'm not a wedge-shaped superhero...

As for the issue of 'best fitting', well, it depends entirely on your body shape...
 Hyphin 08 Nov 2017
In reply to BenBarlow:

Paramo, the only brand that fits everyone as intended.
 Fraser 08 Nov 2017
In reply to BenBarlow:

Rab clothing seems to suit my fairly slim build and is always long enough in the arms. I've normally found Arc'teryx to be a very 'athletic' fit, maybe more than I'm comfortable with tbh.
 JIMBO 08 Nov 2017
In reply to BenBarlow:

I find many of the more climbing specific brands are a poor fit because I have wide shoulders and thick arms. Quite literally my arms do not fit in the sleeves. However the more high street brands such as craghoppers, north face and some mountain equipment clothes are more generous in this aspect.
 Billhook 08 Nov 2017
In reply to BenBarlow:

The best fit depends on your own body size. No one on here knows what that is. And the only way you'll find out what fits you is by going to a shop and trying stuff on. I swear by my Berghaus Hill Warrior goretex GTX (L), jacket but I doubt it will fit you.
In reply to Hyphin:

> Paramo, the only brand that fits everyone as intended.

If, for 'intended', you mean 'badly', or 'like a sack', then yes...
Post edited at 19:52
 bouldery bits 08 Nov 2017
In reply to BenBarlow:

Patagucci fits me on top.

Rab or haglofs on the bottom.

Or ronhills. Love ronhills.
 asteclaru 08 Nov 2017
In reply to JIMBO:

Same here.

Last season Rab jackets/fleeces used to fit me acceptably - this year they've gone insanely slim fitting so nothing I've tried from them recently has fitted me. Trousers are okay though

Mountain Equipment jackets are okay width wise in size XL, but they're too long at the waist and sleeves. Trousers are way too tight across my thighs so have to size up to even be able to move

Arcteryx - the Atom range fits me well (although it is a bit long at the waist), but every one of their waterproofs is too tight across the chest and the fleeces have insanely long arms

Patagonia - I'm right between L and XL, so have no joy with either : L is too small, XL is too big and long

I've found american brands like Outdoor Research and Mountain Hardwear to be more generous with their sizing; the only problem is they're not that popular in the UK so pretty hard to come by
 webbo 08 Nov 2017
In reply to BenBarlow:
I find Peter Christian or BrookTavener tend to fit really well. I would avoid Empire outlet, Chinese tailors who aren't up to much.
 Pawthos 08 Nov 2017
In reply to BenBarlow:

It can be helpful to compare the measurements of an intended purchase against the measurements of something you all ready own and like. It gives you a better idea of how something will fit you.

My view is that ‘fit’ and ‘quality’ are directly linked, and quality is often unrelated to price. A high quality jacket will fit better if the back has a seam running up the middle, or else a separate yoke across the shoulders rather than being cut from a single piece of fabric. Check the finish too - Any structural seams should be reinforced, and hems should be neat and flat (otherwise it will loose its shape). The easiest test is to try on a jacket and raise your arms - a well-made jacket won’t ride up.

I’ve noticed a huge difference in quality comparing male and female items from the same manufacturer- for example Buffalo’s men’s mountain shirt is exceptional but the female mountain shirt is just shockingly bad. So some of the recommendations on here might be good for men’s jackets, but not womens (I have always been disappointed with Decathlon).

I’ve found the manufacturers with the best female specific cut and quality are Alpkit, Paramo, Montura, and Arcteryx. Patagonia and Rab make excellent clothes, but they are both boxy on a skinny female frame.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...