UKC

Best rucksack for mountain routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 woodsy 19 Jul 2012
Following on from my best mountaineering boots thread, I would like some opinions on good rucksacks.
Key features would be
minimum straps & gizmos on the outside
light
comfy
one that sits low on the back (so that it doesn't interfere when you are trying to look up on steeper routes)
Cheers
Woodsy
 rbyrne84 19 Jul 2012
In reply to woodsy:
Mountain Hardware Via Rapida 35.
Simple. Can be stripped down to a minimal sack.

youtube.com/watch?v=fOHgk2o3zd0&

Best pack I've found.

Ryan
 Foolow Mike 19 Jul 2012
In reply to woodsy:
Well I've used a Berghaus Arete for years and found it great. However my new Deuter Guide Lite is even better.

I like your final choice of boots too!

mike
OP woodsy 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Sierra Nevada Guides:
Yeh, thats my usual climbing sack but decided to use an osprey one for comfort but it was a pain when I wanted to look up at routes/ place gear etc.
 vark 19 Jul 2012
In reply to woodsy:
BD speed 30. Very comfy. can be stripped down. Can also carry atop mor than the size would suggest due to extending lid/ rope strap etc.
 Lew13 19 Jul 2012
In reply to woodsy:

BD RPM 26

Superb pack!
 Darkskys 20 Jul 2012
In reply to woodsy: Don't be afraid of spending a little more. When scrambling look for seething tough. BD speed is awesome but thin and last me a year when using for scrambling etc.
Osprey, pod, berghaus, crux all offer great bags with a good life span.

verygneiss 20 Jul 2012
In reply to woodsy:

I replaced my useless Berghaus airflow thing with a Lowe Alpine 'Crag Attack 40', and it's been fantastic. One big compartment, pocket on the lid, minimal pointless padding, e.g. on the waiststraps. Minimal crap on the outside, apart from compression straps (which work) and axe holder thingmies, although it does have two pretty pointless gear loops on it. It's light as well, but not to the point that a sharp bit of schist will ruin it. It's also cheaper than most offerings from Osprey/Berghaus. It doesn't ride too high either, so it'll be out of the way of your head.

I've had it for a while now, and it's my 'go to' rucksack. I've used it for short breaks in Paris, looooong days doing Munros, cragging, going to the indoor wall on my bike etc: I'd rate it a solid 8/10.
 GrahamD 20 Jul 2012
In reply to woodsy:

For rock, best bag is your pockets (most summer routes in UK unless you are dead slow), but if you do need one get a cheap 15l with one compartment.
OP woodsy 20 Jul 2012
In reply to GrahamD:
Yeh, I have a minimalist approach - however for linking routes together & continuing onto a ridge walk - I did that once & didn't like it much
 Blue Straggler 21 Jul 2012
In reply to woodsy:

I did a 9 pitch "easy" route on Lliwedd a couple of months back, with a Quechua Raid 17l pack (marketed at triathletes and fell runners) and it was fab as long as my harness and rack were outside the main compartment
 SteveHolmes 21 Jul 2012
In reply to woodsy:
Best pack I have ever used and fits all of your criteria -
http://www.blueice.com/en/products/warthog-26l

PaulW 21 Jul 2012
In reply to woodsy: Another vote for Blue Ice, but the 30L version. Just used it for am Alpine week, perfect.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...