UKC

big feet and mountain boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
windjammer 20 Feb 2014
i enjoy going winter walking and mountaineering at the weekends,i hope to do a winter course in scotland but have been advised i need a b2 mountain boot
the trouble is i have size 13 feet or 49 the only boots i can get to fit are scarpa sl active but these were a bit flexible at the weekend on striding edge.
it seems that people with big feet carnt enjoy walking in winter,i also had the same problem with a mountain jacket i tried on nearly every jacket out there in a xxl but some makes i cudnt even fasten the zip with just a t-shirt on,i tried on the kongur mrt and fit like a dream but at 370 is was expensive but after wearing it all day and not getting cold or sweating it was worth it,just have to put up with people thinking im part of a mountain rescue team .
id like to climb an easy gully on the ben but what boot do i get my choice is limited to the size.
 AdCo82 20 Feb 2014
In reply to windjammer:

Go into your local Cotswold Outdoor store. In know for a fact that within the company they do stock B2 boots that will go up to a size 13.

They may not immediately be available at your local store but they can transfer footwear between stores for you to try at no cost or obligation to buy.

It will be worthwhile whilst you are in the store getting your feet properly measured to check on the width etc of your foot.

It is difficult for anyone to recommend a boot without knowing your foot!

Hope this helps.

AD
windjammer 20 Feb 2014
In reply to AdCo82:

thanks,i did try on the asolo sherpa gv boot last year in cotswold i should of got them but thought id see what else was out there
 Baron Weasel 20 Feb 2014
In reply to windjammer:

It pisses me off not having choice because of being a size 13<insert expletive here>!!!
 nw 20 Feb 2014
In reply to windjammer:
I'm a size 13. Despite them being very nice and promising to get me something I've never had any luck with Cotswold, or any other chain for that matter. It took me two years to find a replacement winter boot. I got a pair of Nepal Evo's from Needle sports. They weren't cheap though.

Pisses me of and I don't get it. Fair enough, possibly rock climbers as a group tend to be on the smaller side but you see plenty of big guys out on the hill.
Post edited at 22:28
 crayefish 20 Feb 2014
In reply to windjammer:

I'm also a 13 and found a few boots that fitted. Ended up with ultras.
 dek 20 Feb 2014
In reply to windjammer:

Check out the German/Swiss bootmakers websites. Lowa, Meindle, etc for 'big and wide' fitting boots.
m0unt41n 20 Feb 2014
In reply to windjammer:

We should have a 13/49 club. I ended up with Scarpa SL and Vega HA and Millet Everest. You can get really envious of people who have average sized feet and can just wander into a shop and buy pretty well anything.

m0unt41n 20 Feb 2014
In reply to windjammer:

And you will also need extender bars on the crampons.
 MG 20 Feb 2014
In reply to windjammer:

Pfft. Your feet aren't big.
Needlesports have Nepals upto size 50
 Matt Buchanan 20 Feb 2014
In reply to windjammer:

Scarpa Manta Pro is made up to size 50

http://www.scarpa.co.uk/trek/hill-mountain/manta-pro-gtx/

Cheers,
Matt
windjammer 21 Feb 2014
In reply to windjammer:

whats the difference between the manta pro and Nepal Extreme,i just want to spend all day in the snow with crampons on doing a ridge walk like striding edge,spend the weekend in scotland building snow holes,i dont want to do anything that involves a rope
windjammer 22 Feb 2014
In reply to m0unt41n:

i have a old pair of crampons with the neoprene straps and buckles,they have loads of adjustment left in the length.
 Nick Biven 22 Feb 2014
In reply to windjammer:

I have recently bought a size 48 (UK13) pair of Sportiva Trango S Evo from Rock and Run online. An excellent boot which is B2 I think. Bendy, comfy and light.
m0unt41n 22 Feb 2014
In reply to windjammer:

The standard bar which comes with the Grivel 10 & 12 is too short and you need to get the extension one. Didn't know about other makes though.
windjammer 23 Feb 2014
In reply to windjammer:

bought a pair of manta pro for 250 size 49,just deciding what crampon to get got some go outdoor vouchers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...