UKC

Binoculars

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bristol 06 Jun 2011
Hi, I am looking for a pair of binocular's or a monocular for day's in the hills, any advice would be much appreciated, cheers guy's
 Toerag 07 Jun 2011
In reply to bristol: Well I've got a pair of opticron 12x30s and they're jolly nice, albeit the lense caps are a faff. If you're gonna be using them in low light then big lenses will gather more light. Lower magnifications (eg. 7x) will suffer less 'camera shake'.
I suspect that a monocular would give better performance for the weight, and if you lend them to others then there's not the issue of re-focussing one lens like you have with binos.
 iksander 07 Jun 2011
In reply to bristol: Leica Monovid 8x20. That's £300 please
 Toby S 07 Jun 2011
In reply to bristol:

What kind of weight/size are you looking for?

I recently bought a pair of Bushnell Natureviews and apart from the crap lense caps they're very good for the price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushnell-Natureview-22-1042-Binoculars-waterproof/d...
 Guy Hurst 07 Jun 2011
In reply to bristol: Opticron do a range of binoculars with excellent performance for the cash -- about £100 or a bit less for the 8x25 Taiga, which is reasonably compact and water resistant. Not as good as the Leicas maybe, but not too far short and a lot cheaper.
 subalpine 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Toby S: was going to mention Bushnell- they seem to have a good reputation
a budget would be also helpful
a cheaper, but slightly heavier option might be the Bushnell H2O 8x42 for 60ish quid(funny, it looks smaller than yours)
 mr mills 07 Jun 2011
In reply to bristol:

I have a pair of Optricon 8x42 Countryman, not to big and beautiful to handle, I dropped them on the floor in the house once and took them to the shop where I bought them, they sent them back to Opticron for repairing and they did not charge me anything ! Now that is good customer care.
 dazwan 08 Jun 2011
In reply to bristol: Keep an eye out for the el'cheapo bino's from Lidl. They get a lot of respect from the Astronomy community and are renowned as being just as good as some of the more expensive ones.

Personally I carry a Yukon Scout. You can't help but feel like a pirate when you pull out a collapsible telescope. It's fairly big though if all you were after was a pocket scope (about the size of a beer can).
 LastBoyScout 09 Jun 2011
In reply to bristol:

Very timely thread - my Dad apparently wants a set for his birthday.

I know he's got a big set of something like 10x70 that are ancient and a tiny set of 8x20, so guess he's after something in between for a reasonable budget.
bristol 23 Jun 2011
Cheers guy's, thanks for the info.
 wilkesley 24 Jun 2011
In reply to bristol:

I have a pair of Leica 8 x 42, which are superb, but too heavy to carry around with all your gear.

In the compact 8 x 20 I have tested side by side (but not bought)

Svaroski - if money is no problem these are the best. If you can't afford them, don't ever look through a pair, as nothing else is quite as good.

Leica, Zeiss - expensive and very good, but IMHO not quite as good as the Svaroski.

RSPB - think these are about £200. Not quite up to the standard of the other three, but still very good indeed.
cb294 24 Jun 2011
In reply to wilkesley:

Totally agree on the new series of Swarowski binos. I have a pair of Leica 10x50, and while they are great in low light conditions I wish I could swap them for a lighter 42 diameter Swarowski set. The new coating and lens design really is another step above what Leica and Zeiss currently have on offer.

Cheers,

Christian
In reply to bristol:

I've had a pair of Pentax UCF-Mini 8x21 for many years. I find them very good, in terms of pin-cushioning, chromatic & spherical aberration, brightness and focus.

I notice that they seem to go for about £15 on a well-known auction site, and the examples I've seen look like they're in very good condition. And no, I'm not selling mine anywhere.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...