UKC

Black Diamond 7.9 Dry half rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 04 Jan 2023

Has anyone used one of these ropes? They're sold by Go Outdoors and seem to be the cheapest 60 mtr dry half rope I can find currently, so it seemed possible someone else has worked this out and bought one.

Any experiences great fully received - do they wear ok? Do they handle ok? 7.9 sounds very skinny - but I'm old so still think of half ropes as being "nines" even though I don't think Ive had a 9mm half since the 90s!

Cheers all.

OP TobyA 06 Jan 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Hmm - I'm not sure if they are a newish model for sale at GO, or just whether everyone else has, a bit like me, looked at the 7.9 number and thought "that sounds very skinny... maybe a bit too skinny", but perhaps this isn't a case where no news is good news! Decathlon don't seem to have any stock anywhere of their dry, half ropes...

Suncream 06 Jan 2023
In reply to TobyA:

> Decathlon don't seem to have any stock anywhere of their dry, half ropes...

Well, that's not quite true, but if you're nervous about 7.9mm...

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/double-dry-climbing-and-mountaineering-rope-7...

Martin Haworth 06 Jan 2023
In reply to TobyA: I use Edelrid Apus 7.9mm ropes all the time, I find them excellent.

OP TobyA 06 Jan 2023
In reply to Suncream:

Cheers - I somehow missed that as an option! I don't suppose you have one?

OP TobyA 06 Jan 2023
In reply to Martin Haworth:

What belay device do use with them Martin and do you consider what device your partner has? I was just looking at some of my belay devices - for 7.9s like you have my Pivot or Megajul would be fine. But only the pivot for the Decathlon 7.5s. I have an elderly ATC Guide but my son took that off to uni with him, and also a Reverso - according to Petzl's website they are fine with skinny doubles but mine is old and a bit worn so I suspect might not be as a grippy now! 

Gary Latter 06 Jan 2023
In reply to TobyA:

I've been using a pair of Mammut 8.0mm ropes last couple years, think they're brilliant. Just rock climbing though (no white shite!)... I even bought a pair of 70s in a deal and chopped them into a pair of 40s & pair of 30s, instead of lugging a pair of 60s around. 

Used alongside those Edelrid 19g karabiners & quickdraws, and Ultralight camalots, the weight saving is considerable.

I've recently purchased a couple of Edelrid Starling Pro Dry 8.2mm ropes. These have a cut resistant Aramid sheath, so less worrying about sharp edges.

Martin Haworth 06 Jan 2023
In reply to TobyA: I mostly use a Reverso and it works fine. I do also have a Reversino and a bugette. On Multi-pitch and Alpine routes I might use the Reversino as it is lighter, and I carry the Bugette as a back up.

Jamie Wakeham 06 Jan 2023
In reply to TobyA:

I can report that the Pivot has plenty of grab when used with Apus 7.9 - this is my standard combination and it works perfectly well.

Suncream 06 Jan 2023
In reply to TobyA:

I do: literally the first time out with them I was abseiling on Chamonix granite, the ropes jumped sideways as happens sometimes and one of them got a coreshot 10m from the end!

But I still use them as 50s, carefully, on special occasions when I really want to go light. I use them with a DMM pivot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...