UKC

Black diamond Snaggletooth crampon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyd1970 13 Oct 2018

Looking to replace my Grivel G12s and was wondering if anyone has any feedback on these.

My uses would be winter climbing up to about Grade 4 on a variety of mixed, ice and snow slopes, Alpine peaks but nothing too technical and general mountainerring/ walking in winter.

I like the idea of the sort mono set of the different length front points for small holds etc

Colin Wells 13 Oct 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

I got a pair in a sale on a whim a while ago as I was Snaggle-curious but initially unconvinced enough by the hype to pony up the full whack.

I rapidly became a believer: I think they're great for less technical stuff and would actually be prepared to buy full price now if I had to.

Great on a variety of snow, from fluff to nevé and pretty good on not-too steep ice and mixed- certainly as good as conventional bi-points. More precise than bi-points, as you'd expect, and surprisingly light - I was astonished to find they were nearly 100g lighter than my Grivel Airtechs - which are already pretty light. But they out-perform the Airtechs on unconsolidated snow and more technical stuff. Easy to walk in too so especially good for British condits.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...