UKC

Black Diamond X4 - anyone seen them yet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 10 Jul 2012
Saw a picture of the new camalot X4's in a magazine today, anyone had a closer look? Very similar to the master cams/aliens in appearance.

Ben
 beardy mike 10 Jul 2012
In reply to Sharp: http://www.climberism.com/gear-talk-new-black-diamond-camalot-x4/ - look nice - shame I just started my mastercam collection yesterday!
OP Sharp 10 Jul 2012
In reply to mike kann: I wonder how they've got the "unmatched expansion range" and what sacrafices they've made. The small mastercams feel really bomber, I'm sceptical how BD can improve on them.

Ben
 Steeve 10 Jul 2012
In reply to Sharp:
i'd bet on it now; they wont be as good (specifically as fexible, or as durable) as mastercams. and i'd be surprised if they were lighter.
 cliff shasby 11 Jul 2012
In reply to Sharp: i wonder if these will suffer the same problem as mastercams of triggering themselfs out of horizontal placements with a similar trigger design..?
In reply to cliff shasby:
> (In reply to Ben Sharp) i wonder if these will suffer the same problem as mastercams of triggering themselfs out of horizontal placements with a similar trigger design..?

If you'd actually read the (really very tedious) Supertopo thread about that you'd have found out that nobody has actually managed to make this happen, even on test rigs. Some guy thought he had, Metolius looked at his results, pointed out a problem with his testing kit, he fixed it and was then unable to replicate his original findings.

So I won't be losing any sleep about it (except to grieve for the hours of my life I wasted reading the whole thread).
 cliff shasby 11 Jul 2012
In reply to victim of mathematics: i was told about it by a guy who it has happened to and he has made some modifications to his mastercams as a result,it was a guy i met from ukc lifts and partners.
i think it only happened to the smaller mastercams.
i have read the thread on supertopo(only after hearing about it happening to a real person),it was enough for me not to consider mastercams when replacing all my cams.

of course this is just my experience/opinion,we all have our own.
In reply to cliff shasby:

How did this guy know that this was the cause of the cam failing? It's difficult to imagine how you would know.

I'll take the opinion of some very boring guys with a test rig and waaaay too much time on their hands over some random dude.

But I respect your right to think otherwise.
 Aigen 12 Jul 2012
In reply to Sharp: To be fair they look good. However I hope they the lenght of slings they use are longer than on the C3. They should make them as long as the slings on aliens.
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Camming-Device-Reviews/buying-advice

I would vote for having 2 options 1, short sling like aliens and 2,60cm sling like the picture below.
http://img90.exs.cx/img90/2181/Rackola.jpg

next time I am in the States I am going to get these long slings for all my cams.
 Aigen 12 Jul 2012
In reply to victim of mathematics:
> (In reply to cliff shasby)
Metolius looked at his results, pointed out a problem with his testing kit

I have seen this video and was able to do it at home. The testing kit is a horozontal break and an edge. No special equipment required.
The mastercan is not a bad cam, it just has 3 problems.
1, Camming angle is to small so they get stuck all the time,
2, Salty air will seize them up,
3 The sling uis tiny so you have to add a draw for most placements.
 Tommyads 12 Jul 2012
In reply to Sharp:
I will start saving now to get a full set when there out. I was talking to my mates saying how i dont like any small cams at the moment. Was expecting dmm to realese something though...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...